1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing me voice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dorset_Mike, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Thought it was a bad cough/cold but after a couple of months thought maybe not, so got the docs involved; eventually after antibiotics then a fungal creme finally got to hospital ENT; transnasal endoscope discovered a lump looking like a wart on a vocal chord, more faffing with biopsies etc they've now given it a name, Squamous Carcinoma, yet more faffing to decide if I can stand a general anaesthetic - aftermath of 40 years smoking although gfiven up 16 years ago the chest ain't that efficient.

So finally today I get the verdict- radio thereapy 5 days a week for 4 weeks; at some time during that I'm likely to be feeling a bit yukk so if I drop off the scene for a while in 2 or 3 weeks time hopefully normal operation will resume sometime mid - late April.
  2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Oh crumbs - I'm beginning to think this forum should come with a health warning! Here's hoping the treatment doesn't leave you feeling too yuck though. Keep us updated as you can. Good luck!
  3. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Good luck with it Mike.. I assume that's at Poole hospital. Hope all goes well.
  4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

All the best
  5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Hope all goes well and you're back here soon shouting at us all
  6. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Very best of luck Mike.
  7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

All the very best Mike.
  8. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

best wishes Mike.
  9. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

If that's the same thing as Squamous Cell Carcinoma (SCC) then I had it last summer but on the cheek not the throat. The good news is that mine responded well to radio therapy and I do hope that yours is equally good.

The bad news is that I did feel yuck for quite a while, at the worst about two weeks but at least I knew the worst was over.

You have all my sympathy and I do hope all goes well
    Zou and EightBitTony like this.
  10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Good luck, don't forget to photograph the entire thing for your book (you are writing a book about this I hope?)

All the best!
    Zou likes this.
  11. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Good luck Mike.

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Good luck! Even without your voice there's always the option to share more terrible jokes. ;)
    daft_biker likes this.
  13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Hope all goes well and the nurses to your liking. ;)

Keep us posted if you have the energy.
  14. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Good luck