1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to buy a capable camera smaller than a DSLR camera

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by kingmustard, May 14, 2017.

1. kingmustard

kingmustard Active Member

I currently have a Nikon D3300, which I really like.

I mainly use the single-point AF feature, due to the excellent "depth of field" effect it gives on photos.

However, the camera is too large and heavy for my trips abroad.

I am hoping for some advice/suggestions with the following conditions:
    • Must be smaller than my Nikon D3300 (W12cm, H10cm, L14cm with kit 18-55mm lens)
    • Must be lighter than my Nikon D3300 (700g with stock battery and kit 18-55mm lens)
    • Must offer single-point AF (for a similar depth of field effect)
    • Ideally has 180° swivel screen for "selfies"
    • Ideally has built-in GPS for photo geotagging
    • Must be under £500/€600/$650
    Any advice/suggestions?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Look at Fuji X series CSCs, they have a 1.5 crop factor like Nikons. Single point AF has nothing specifically to do with depth-of-field. All cameras should have it although it will be disabled in full auto mode.

Learning likes this.
  3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Forget DSLRs. They still have their place. That place is not travel unless you are into travelling for sport or travelling to get shots of very active wildlife. I am still sticking with Nikon DSLR, but if I was starting a fresh then my choice would not be clear cut.

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Pity the M9 and later Leicas don't meet many of your criteria...

If you don't want to use a high-quality camera, simply accept that you can get astonishingly good pictures from junk and near-junk, too. I'm current;y shooting with a couple of point and shoot or bridge cameras (Canon, Fuji...) cameras that are a decade and more old: an old friend died, and I got them in non-working condition. because it would have cost more to replace the batteries than the cameras were worth. They're a lot better than no camera. And a lot worse than full frame.

Cheers,

R.

5. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I mainly use a D3300 for travel photography I use this camera with a wrist strap (home made) its light and it did not cost the earth if it were lost or stolen, its not the best camera I have but it does the job. There must be hundreds of cameras out there that could do exactly the same as the D3300 so why change it? You only change or upgrade when the tools you have cant do the job....

Roger Hicks likes this.
  6. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

You don’t say anything about the lens(es) you take, which contribute substantially to the weight of an outfit. A camera with a fixed lens will generally be lighter than an interchangeable lens camera with an equivalent lens mounted.

If you want great depth of field, with close and distant objects sharp, the small sensors in most fixed lens cameras will make that easy to achieve.

If you want limited depth of field, to isolate a subject from its background, you need a relatively large sensor and fast lens (a large aperture ratio, shown as a small divisor in the “f” number: f/2.8 is pretty good for an interchangeable zoom lens, f/5.6 can only achieve twice the depth of field).

I have a Panasonic LX100 compact for when I don’t want to carry my camera bag, and I’m delighted with it. I can squeeze it into the pocket of my walking trousers, and a jacket pocket is easy. It’s zoom ratio is similar to a “kit” zoom supplied with many cameras, such as 18-55mm on a D3300, but the LX100 goes slightly wider. It can be set to have a single AF point moved by the control dial on the back in much the same way as I expect your D3300 operates. I don’t think there is another zoom compact that offers as good a combination of fast lens and large sensor for reducing depth of field, and shooting in low light.

Unfortunately I think its price new is a little above £500, and it doesn’t have GPS or a tilting screen.

I hope you find what you want.

Chris

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker Well-Known Member

You don't say whether it should be new or whether you would go for second-hand. I think Chris's suggestion of Panny LX100 is good. I would add Pannie GX7 s/h as alternative but then unless you really need the DSLR viewing capablity at other times, I think the GX7 will make your D3300 completely redundant.

8. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Further to my earlier post......to name one camera would be unfair to the rest of them!