1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for old K-Mount prime lenses, preferably AF.

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by TPrezzle, Aug 6, 2014.

1. TPrezzle

TPrezzle Well-Known Member

I'm looking for an old Pentax, or any third-party K-Mount lens, preferably one with AF (for my K-50)

I'm currently at the newbie stage where I have an 18-55mm kit lens, along with a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 Ai-S lens, picked up from my Grandad's old kit. Miraculously, by the way, they fit inside the K-Mount, though I'd like something a little more suited to the focal distance and specific mount, albeit a nice temporary novelty.

I'm looking for a 35mm or 50mm prime with a maximum aperture of about f/2 that's sharp and has nice bokeh.

Also looking at an older telephoto lens for my wildlife photography. Again, preferably AF but I'm open to manual focus too :)

Now I know these lenses can be picked up dirt cheap and you can get excellent results with them. I'm on a tight budget so I'd like to try something cheaper that still gives me excellent quality. Any suggestions?

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

If you want an af prime your choices are limited, best bet would look to be a 50mm f1.7 KAF, or a cheaper option a 50mm f2 or f1.7 PKA, as these whilst manual focus will work well with the camera exposure electronics. For wildlife, assuming you mean fur n'feathers, possibly a Sigma 400mm f5.6 AF.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  3. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  4. TPrezzle

TPrezzle Well-Known Member

And you'd recommend all these lenses? :)

Impressed with the £19.99 one, though! Christ, if it was awful it would still be a worthy investment.

Are these pick up only? Can't quite get my head around the site.

5. Done_rundleCams

I don't really know, T_P :eek:, I live in Vancouver (BC) but, I believe,
    there is a LCE shop in Birmingham that you could probably drop by or
    ring up to inquire to :)

As for the lenses, the middle one seems to be gone now :( but, for the
    DA 35/2.4, everyone who's used one seems to like it, optically wise, build
    wise it's lightweight :) and that would go for the DA 50/1.8 as well :)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jack

6. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Older AF lenses (ie: F series and FA series) are not dirt cheap. The 35 and 50 that Jack mentions are optically excellent. I don't like them as they are very plasticky, just not very Pentax for me. If I want cheap feeling lenses I would buy Canon or Nikon. However, they will do an excellent job and I would highly recommend them too for image quality. I have a particular fondness for the older lenses, there are some excellent performers and they are very good to use, tactile and extremely well built - they feel like they will last forever,

Depending upon the subjects you wish to shoot then I would consider some of the older fully manual lenses as they represent the best value for money image quality wise. I would definitely go for an M50/1.7 - you should be able to pick one up for £20. The M28/3.5 is also very good indeed (better than the M28/2.8) at £35. I wouldn't look at these lenses as investments but buy a good example then you can always sell it on for what you paid. I have a particular fondness for the 'K' series lenses - the first K mount lenses. Some of them are fantastic but they can get pricey. The thing with the old Pentax lenses is that once you get to know them and what they are worth then you can hunt out some real bargains. But you have to look hard as well advertised ones will fetch a good price. And there are plenty of other bargain hunters to compete with. Much
    depends upon your subject choice. I am perfectly comfortable with manual focus and manual exposure - in fact I generally prefer manual modes even with auto everything lenses - but that certainly isn't for most.

Telephoto for wildlife is more difficult on a budget. The DA55-300 might be your best option - a very good lens for the money - buy used. Autofocus isn't the best, that is Pentax weakness. The DA*300/4 is a superb lens and partners well with the new 1.4teleconverter. It is expensive but worth every last penny if you can afford one.

Ask for sample images.

7. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

You may not be able to find one, as I suspect, like me, owners will not part with them. I refer to the Sigma 100-300 f/4. Very sharp on its own and acceptably so with the 1.4x tc. Of course it then becomes a 630mm equivalent at f/5.6 and will still autofocus.

TBH I have never seen one s/h though.

8. Done_rundleCams

Hi David,

Well, you know that your Sigma lens will clash, colour wise, with your
    forthcoming 'gunmetal grey' camera so you may have to sell it ……
    ….. your Sigma lens, that is :eek:

;)

Jack

9. ET-4

ET-4 Member

The ability to use manual lenses on Pentax cameras is very easy to do. Even though they are manual focus, the internal AF system 'beeps' and highlights red taking the guesswork out of a lot of the focusing.
    I have an smc Pentax 28mm f/2.8 + smc Pentax 50mm f/1.7 manual focus lenses. Both produce very nice Bokeh wide open. That being the case you still need more time using them in normal situations.
    I also have an smc Pentax DA 50mm f/1.8 lens. Really like this lens a lot. Quick focusing and very pleasing results. You can buy these for £116 delivered from Jessops which is cheap for a prime lens. Second hand even cheaper.
    If it's the Bokeh you are after look at longer focal length zooms which can really separate the subject from the background.
    PT

10. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

I use a Pentax K 28mm f3.5, better in my view than the later M 28mm variants (which I also have), with very little CA and hardly any distortion. Similar sharpness. A 28mm lens on a crop camera equates to a full frame focal length of 42mm, which I find to be very useful. Probably my most used lens. See http://bryansphotographs.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/pentax-k-28mm-f35-on-nex-6.html

I also use a Samsung 35mm f2 Schneider Kreuznach - actually an auto focus Pentax 35mm in disguise. It's an excellent lens. Bought mine new for about £175, but should be a deal cheaper secondhand, if you can find a copy.

The price of Zeiss Flektogons reached silly heights some years ago, but are probably more affordable now. An excellent M42 thread manual focus 35mm f2.4.

The Pentax 75-150 f4 M (Manual focus) is an underrated optic. The modest zoom range means that it did not stretch the technology too far when introduced and it performs very well at a bargain basement price. See http://bryansphotographs.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/sony-55-210-versus-pentax-75-150-and-200.html

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  11. Done_rundleCams

Hi Bryan,

That SMC 75-150/4 is, as you say, a cracker of a lens and, for that matter, most, if not all, the lenses in the 70/70-150/2.8/3.5/4 range were all really great lenses :)

Cheers,

Jack

12. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Good to have confirmation on that one Jack, I always seem to be a lone voice when praising the 75-150! It was one of the few lenses that I bought new for my Pentax ME many moons ago, since displaced by a much more lightly used but secondhand copy.

13. Monobod

Not on your Nellie, it is a cracker and works well too on the GXR A12 Leica Mount with the Novoflex adapter. The GXR has focus peaking which works well in the EVF.

You know which Pentax lenses are the good ones because you never see them s/h. :) Two examples are the 28-105 f/4-5.6 power zoom and the manual focus 70-210 f/4 one touch zoom (both Full Frame). I won't part with mine.....

14. Done_rundleCams

I expected that reply, David, re: Sigma 100-300/4 :D and it's cool that works
    with the GXR :cool: and, yep, the FA28-105 and the 70-200/4 are both cracking lenses ..... even though they may clash the K-3 Prestige colour scheme :eek:.

Cheers,

Jack

15. Monobod

Moved to another thread!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  16. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Just because the lens doesn't match it doesn't mean it will look bad, I reckon it's a wonderfully complementary colour and the only colour which won't be matching in this scenario is the green envious colour I am turning right now! :):D:)

17. Monobod

Yes, the gun metal is attractive and I think it will be fine with black lenses, mine are all black, so I do not have a problem with it.

In the final analysis though it is what comes out on the memory card that is important. The K-3 has a fair number of very good improvements, screen size, brightness and aspect ratio, better exposure metering, slightly larger viewfinder, additional buttons for this and that, so it should be better to work with, once one has set it up with a couple of User preferences.

18. Done_rundleCams

Exactly, David and, first and foremost, it's what the shutter release presser thinks of the image. The rest, be it good, bad or indifferent, is all ….. gravy, for the lack of a better term :)

Cheers,

Jack

19. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

20. Monobod

THEY ALSO HAVE THE 70-210 F/4. I have this lens and it is very sharp. It works a treat on the K-5 because if one uses 'catch in focus' then by just twisting the barrel whilst holding down the shutter button.......it fires as soon as the lens is in focus. Only £25, can't go wrong. Complete with caps and a case. Amazing. They don't mention that it has a built in slide forward lens hood too.

I never thought I would see this lens s/h.

[​IMG]DON'T FENCE ME IN by Monobod, on Flickr

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014