1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for help on new equipment choice

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by scania144420, Apr 10, 2019.

1. scania144420

scania144420 New Member

Hi

I have just joined the forum and looking forward to gaining advice and experience and joining in discussions where possible.

I am looking to buy either a mirrorless or bridge camera and have roughly £600 to spend. I have been looking at the following cameras but completely lost on which is the best value and best features, or is there any others that the members think would be much better than any of these. Thanks for any help

1. PANASONIC Lumix DMC-G7EB-K Mirrorless Camera

2. PANASONIC Lumix FZ1000EB

3. NIKON COOLPIX P900

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

What do you want to photograph? What do you want to do with the pictures you get?

3. scania144420

scania144420 New Member

Hi I usually do lots of photography when with the family on holidays and days out and also do railway, transportation and aeroplane photography in my spare time and display it all on my smugmug site at
    https://anthonyduncan.smugmug.com/

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

...and pretty good it is. What exactly do you think you’re unable to get at the moment?

5. scania144420

scania144420 New Member

Hi at the moment I am just using my phone camera due to my last camera becoming damaged so just looking around at various options :)

6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Do you want a single camera with a single lens that covers all the focal lengths you'd ever need, or do you want a camera that allows you to change lenses for different focal lengths?

The first camera in your list is an interchangeable lens camera, you will need to buy additional lenses to get longer focal lengths. The second two are bridge cameras with long zooms and no ability to change the lenses.

They'll all do the job, but the first camera will need additional lenses to get the same reach as the second two.

7. scania144420

scania144420 New Member

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I have owned both types of camera over the years and just trying to get the best value for money, I especially like the 2 panasonic cameras in the list as seem to have the best features but not sure if the Bridge or mirrorless will give the best results.

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

the gap between mirrorless and bridge is first decided by whether you want interchangeable lenses or not. Modern bridges, especially those with 1" sensors, offer impressive image quality considering the compromises implicit in the design.

More generally, the best camera is one you like using. Trying to decide on specification alone can lead you buy something you can't live with.

ChrisNewman and peterba like this.
  9. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I was just about to post my thoughts on this topic, but PeteRob (post #8) has said everything that I was intending to say.

10. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Apart from putting them on your website, what do you do with your pictures?

I ask because you don't mention getting any of them printed. If they only go on the website, or get viewed at home on a PC screen, then a bridge camera with a small sensor and big zoom range will be ideal. But if you want to get images printed to 40 x 60 or 50 x 75 cm (for example) then a camera body with a larger sensor will give better results.

Also, if you decide to get a 'micro four thirds' or APS-C sensor camera body (and if you don't recognise these terms, it's worth delaying until you have done a little more research), you do not have to buy it with the standard 'kit' lens, but can instead buy a longer zoom lens that may suit you better (a camera body that allows you to fit different lenses will be more flexible in the long term, even if you only have one lens when you start). Finally, if you decide to look for something like this, look for the best you can find secondhand within your budget: £600 will buy you much more secondhand than new. The websites of the retailers who advertise regularly in AP would be the place to start, and you'll find lots of stuff because so many people believe they have to 'upgrade' every year or two, and a lot of 'mint' condition stuff gets traded in. Something that was well-reviewed 2 or 3 years ago will still be a good camera, although it won't have the same specification of the latest model, but it will probably still be more than adequate for what you want to do.

Finally, whatever you buy, try to get 'hands on' before spending any money. Some of the camera body and lens combinations may be larger than you expect, or some of the camera bodies may be too small for your hands.

11. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Firstly sensor size then portability, £600 in the 2nd hand market could get you a camera with a aps-c sensor and a decent zoom lens

12. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

A bridge such as the Panasonic FZ1000 or similar will certainly be a big step up in quality from your S4400 - it's sensor sites (pixels) are 4 times larger than the S4400, so should be far better in low light.
    Megapixels aren't hugely different, but at that size sensor it is a bad idea to have too many.

To check out the different options, I would have a look here:
    https://www.digicamdb.com/compare/panasonic_lumix-dmc-fz1000-vs-fujifilm_finepix-s4400/

This particular comparison is the FZ1000 vs the S4400, but you can do any cameras you want.

Magnification in bridge camera lenses may be important but don't get too hung up on whether you have a 50x or a 100x zoom.
    Other things matter such as pixel size (for low light work) and of course the generation of the camera - newer generations of sensor should be better than older ones in different ways.

I wouldn't go for a dSLR if you want to do a lot of family work on holiday - changing lenses is a PITA, but if you do want to concentrate on aircraft etc, something such as a Nikon D3500 with a couple of lenses and a flash such as a Nissin model will give better results (and way better results in portraits as well) - and don't be afraid of second hand stuff from MPB and similar stores. Many people try their cameras and realise it is a big mistake for them, and sell them to these stores, when the camera is perfect for someone else.

If you did get a second hand dSLR and a couple of lenses, then just get a second hand or older generation compact that will fit in your pocket for family snaps when you need them as well. Carting a camera around on holiday isn't something to do unless you specifically want to do photographs, and a pocketable camera such as the Panasonic series have decent versatility including lenses, but won't match a dSLR for the more measured shots of family or aircraft/trains.

13. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Look for the latest issue of AP dated 20th of April and in the shops later this week (my subscription copy arrived yesterday), with the big 'Why buy new?' line on the cover. There are examples of different types of camera at various price points, and also an excellent article about buying and using a secondhand Fuji X-T10 which might appear to be exactly what you want. But check the cost of secondhand lenses first because they are more expensive than ones with Canon or Nikon mounts, which is why an older model 16 megapixel Canon or Nikon DSLR might be a better investment. Although these will have 'old' technology optical viewfinders (so less drain on the battery because it's not powering an electronic viewfinder), they will be capable of taking excellent pictures and allow a wide choice of secondhand lenses.

This is a good place to start to get some idea about prices, but you should be safe with any of the retailers who advertise regularly in AP.

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondhand-Search/

cliveva likes this.