1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London photo spots

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by boof57, Sep 2, 2006.

1. boof57

boof57 New Member

Hi all I am travelling to London for a few days and would like to take some shots can you please give some ideas in and around the city itself. I won't be there that long and am travelling with a wife and child so too far out is no good.

Thanks alot

regards
    Darren

2. robc

robc Well-Known Member

The not so obvious:
    Top of Primrose Hill for the view
    Walk around Soho at night.
    Street Markets
    Greenwich
    Battersea Park
    Hampstead Heath
    Highgate
    Hoxton & Shoreditch for street life
    The limits of "the city" - lots of old meets new around the fringes
    Bank & Monument
    Hungerford Bridge (from Charing Cross Station over to the National Theatre)

The Obvious:
    London Eye - done to death but find your own twist.
    Tower Bridge
    Docklands
    Trafalger Squ
    Whitehall (take your rights card!)
    Batersea Power Station
    St Pauls
    Tate Modern (along with the Milenium Bridge)
    The South Bank - concrete, Corbuzier, skaters, buskers, bikers

And everywhere you go "the streets are alive"

Let me know if you want more detail

Enjoy.

3. demonboy

demonboy Well-Known Member

Hi Boof.

Anywhere around the City. The new office buildings are strongly justaposed by some of London's oldest buildings and the trick is to always look up. Try and go at the weekend when there is little traffic and no pedestrians. Try the Stock Exchange area, or north of Liverpool Street Station off Primrose Street (there's a massive Buddah tucked away there), and any other little side street hosting beautiful old buildings that are frequently overlooked by all the commuters who frequent the place during the week.

Just realised this is what Rob was suggesting too!

4. demonboy

demonboy Well-Known Member

Darren,

The other area I would recommend that Rob also suggested is the Docklands. Around Canary Wharf you have lots of modern buildings, river inlets etc, and if you get over to the north west side of the Isle of Dogs onto the river you get some great views looking down the river. Also if you have your family with you there are pleny of bars, restaurants and the whole area is pedestrianised. Use the DLR from Bank - the ride out to Canary Wharf is also interesting. Watch as the environment changes from grotty high rises to smart office buildings towards the Docklands!

5. TomG

TomG Well-Known Member

all good advice, I particularly like the southbank and the area around the Mayor of London's baby gherkin.

The tube is good too, but you'll probably end up in a prison if you get caught taking photos. You can ask for permission but they probably won't give it.

This is one of my favourite shots I got from my many London trips: http://gallery.meh.me.uk/main.php?g2_itemId=2342

6. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Sorry. That's not correct.

You can take photos down there, I do it all the time.

You just can't use tripods or flash, or cause an obstruction in any way.

This was taken yesterday:
    [​IMG]

7. TomG

TomG Well-Known Member

really!? I was told that as it is private property, it is illegal to shoot down there without prior permission, I know I got questioned when I was shooting with my SLR.

Nice thought though Fen, like it! :)

8. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

That's more for doing photoshoots down there.

10. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

It used to be only jobsworths that would ask to see your permit but given the current climate they are being more and more vigilant, still some great shots down there though........

11. boof57

boof57 New Member

thanks all for your great advice I will be mapping out the locations over the weekend in readiness for next week.
    thanks again for you help

regards

darren

12. robc

robc Well-Known Member

For shooting on the tube - just ask the station master - I have never been told "no" when I have asked. And if any other staff on the station have question me (only happened twice) I get them to radio the station manager...

Yes, the current climate may have changed the attitude to this, but till now it has not been an issue.

You cannot use flash, but only on the platforms - you can get away with it, just dont do it when a train is arriving as they are worried about "blinding" the drivers...I considered a flipant comment about trains being on rails but contented myself with the fact they allowed me to shoot.

And you cant use a tripod without permission, but can use a monopod.

13. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: London photo spots -- The tube and DD buses

The tube:

[​IMG]

Double Decker buses:

[​IMG]

:)

Jack

14. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

I take pics on the tube almost every day and have never been stopped yet. Same old same old - no tripod, no flash.

15. Jaded

Jaded Well-Known Member

The stuff between Holborn and Fleet Street (Inns of court?)

16. AppleChic

AppleChic Active Member

I would suggest the Design Museum and the surrounding streets of old Victorian warehouses. This area is popular with visitors, but slightly off the beaten track.

17. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Known as "Shad Thames" right next to Tower Bridge on the South Bank

18. AppleChic

AppleChic Active Member

That's right, fenris, Shad Thames. I couldn't quite name the locality.

The historic markets are also worth a visit, Spitalfields, Leadenhall and Borough Markets, and not forgetting Smithfields, or course.

I'm not keen on Covent Garden, I have to admit. It has turned into a theme park.

19. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Borough Market has a lot of signs around saying NO PHOTOGRAPHY WITHOUT PERMISSION

I think they're getting efd up of people walking around taking their photos all the time.

Spitalfields is a lot friendlier. And you've got Brick Lane just around the corner as well :)

20. AppleChic

AppleChic Active Member

That's not good news. I was planning to take a trip up there soon. :(