1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London - Is tripod safe ? low light and night photography

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by GrahamR, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Not a good view any more. They've put up wire mesh instead of the steel bars. Totally ruined it. I've got a photo somewhere with the new view and the reason why they changed it

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

That's okay, the blanket would've dried off in the five years since this thread was started ;)

Sorry, you're incorrect with the facts there. You are perfectly free to wander around London as a tourist and take photographs. The original poster wasn't asking about commercial photography, which is the only reason you'd need permission from some areas.

Could you post links to these bye laws that prohibit non-commercial photography in London?

I was out shooting today, all around the South Bank, Tower Bridge and London Bridge. Not a problem.

3. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Here you go

4. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

This is a topic which crops up at regular intervals. It is good to see [:rolleyes:] that the same old truisms get rolled out on each occasion. (Actually, it is very sad!! I did think that we were cutting through some of this...)

London is amongst the world's top cities on the list of places for nasty people to make a global 'statement'. This apparently accounts for the higher incidence of official allergies brought on by the appearance of a camera. It is also popular with commercial photographers, whose sole purpose in life is (allegedly) to steal images featuring red buses crossing Westminster Bridge. Due to the higher incidence of requests relating to commercial photography, the authorities responsible for iconic locations are generally more acquisitive than you might find in a provincial city. If your work is commercial, or has a commercial element, expect to require permission (possibly even permits) before you commence - councils and/or the GLA like their share of the profits! In general, photography for 'personal reasons' does NOT attract undue attention (see note re: tripods, below). Having said that, some officials appear to have occasional 'bad days' resulting in them growling at anything that moves (or doesn't). As with other wild animals, keep your eyes open and don't taunt or antagonise them and they generally go away to hunt elsewhere.

Where there are large numbers of people milling about whilst avoiding eye-contact, think carefully before using a tripod. Under those circumstances, most tripods seem to attract the flat-footed clown - a variety of herbivore that doesn't open its eyes until just before it trips over your carbon-fibre extrusion and grinds its face into the nearest bit of concrete. Encounters with these can ruin a pleasant day out with that new camera.

All joking apart, a little pre-planning and courtesy will often prevent any embarrassment. Have a great (and safe) day out.

5. Aidie

Aidie Member

Hi Fen,
    I note you shoot in London for commercial reasons, I don't wish to get involved in any arguments, you should be aware that commercial photography or any photography in London is subject to legislation, and that you cannot wander around with a camera doing just as you please, well you can but as I mentioned previously you can end up with a Criminal record for your troubles. You will however be pleased to hear that I am working towards ending this attitude problem that has been entrenched in Photographers for a very long time about " do as you please " Please don't ask what because you won't get an answer.

Cheers,

Aidie. [​IMG]

6. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Er... I don't know where you heard that but I don't shoot in London for commercial reasons.

I have never done a commercial shoot on the streets of London, nor can I see the time when I ever would.

Would still be interested in reading these bye laws you mentioned that prohibit non-commercial photography in London.

That's okay, personally I don't know any photographers that have a "do as you please" attitude. All the photographers I know have a respectable attitude to other people in the area that they are taking photographs in and a delight in their hobby that they are happy to spare and help others with. The majority of the forum members here are the same.

But please make sure you are correct on the laws, bye laws and regulations for photographing not just in London but the whole of the UK before you go spreading the word. As at present you are completely barking up the wrong tree.

Not a very helpful or public spirited attitude to take!

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

What ARE you on about? :confused:

Why have you dug up an ancient thread? Why are you banging on about commercial photography when that has at no point been the point of the thread? I have to say from your posts that I am extremely suspicious of your motives, and anticipate a post from you shortly whereby you suddenly find a miraculous solution to the non-existent problems and scares that you've brought up that somehow involves payment to you or some organisation connected to you - you've really got my instincts racing.

8. Aidie

Aidie Member

Hi Fen,
    If you wish to carry on in that manner please be my guest, your attitude problem will get you where you deserve to be, but please do read peoples posting's correctly and do not make warped assumptions to suit yourself. Hopefully this issue of photography for commercial or non commercial purposes can be placed on a proper footing and offenders dealt with more effectively. I have no doubt that Security personel are sick to the eye teeth being lied to by photographers who wish to capture images for profit when they can't prove it. That makes life twice as hard for the genuine Amateur who is going out on a shoot for pleasure.

Cheers,

Aidie. [​IMG]

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Er.... Excuse me Aidie. I think you've got the wrong end of it there.

I have not said anywhere that I shoot commercial photography on the streets of London. YOU stated that I did.

YOU have stated that permits are needed for shooting NON-COMMERCIAL in and around London. This is complete codswallop.

YOU have also stated that there are bye laws that prohibit NON-COMMERCIAL photography in London. Could you please enlighten, not only myself but other members of the Forums what bye laws these are.

I am very sure that Mark (of SceneThat) who replied to your other post would be incredibly interested in seeing them as he deals with the legalities of photographing in the UK every day.

10. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Forgot to add... My 'attitude' has got me here, as a Moderator on this forum where you are stating facts without being able to produce evidence to back them up.

But I guess we aren't allowed to ask you about that are we...

11. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

Glad you mentioned it. I had been meaning to go back.

12. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

First the OP (from 2006) said for his own pleasure so non-commercial.

Using a tripod does not mean your commercial just like using a dSLR either consumer or pro does not mean your commercial. Therefore for the vast majority of APs permits don't apply. Plus with modern dSLRs (remember this post 2006) handheld can now do the job. I do alot of low-light photography in London for pure pleasure. I use a clamp/micro tripod to avoid carrying a tripod. But only special location kick off on a full tripod not because of commercial but health and safety and fire access. Example London Eye.

If what you said was true about criminal record then where are the arrests and court cases? It would run it millions of cases which would grind the legal system to a halt pretty quick (look at the riots, day and night court sittings). In fact in cases where photographers have been stopped/arrest/detained (even doing news reporting) the police have had settle out of court and apologise. AP have report on such cases. It even ended up in the ECHR for one situation.

I would finally point out that I believe ACPO have repeatly said that taking photographs in public place is legal and with current law. Certainly buildiing owners have never raised issues when shot from public highway.

I have to say I am concerned because in your profile you say you run a photography club and I hope you are not informing your members incorrectly when it comes to doing photography as a pure hobby. If you choose to do that then it is upto you. But on here you are likely to get some serious flak from APs especially those interested in photography as art and pleasure.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  13. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

WALOB!

For accuracy (from DirectGov).

14. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Sounds like Aidie is connected to the security business!

"Westminster, You need permission to shoot, and also a TRIPOD permit, Public Liability Insurance is mandatory, unless you want to lie about the commercial aspects of your visit.

Same for Tower Bridge, security is tight and you could get thrown off the Bridge, not literally of course.

Most of this applies to other areas of London, hardly a square inch that you do not need permission for."

I don't use a tripod, but I've been wandering around London on and off for the past couple of years armed with a DSLR with no problems at all, including Westminster and Tower Bridge, sometimes alone, other times with a friend.

I would imagine the authorities will be extremely busy stopping every tourist with a camera and asking to see their permits - this will cause further chaos during the Olympics!

15. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Nope. Just misinformed.

16. P_Stoddart

More like totally uninformed. :D

PS: If they was in the security business that would be worrying. :(

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Brilliant! :D

It's worrying enough that he's in the "giving out completely false and misleading advice" business.

18. P_Stoddart

Well let us hope they do some reading/research and understand the true position before passing on dodgy data. :D

19. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

.. or maybe totally uniformed, or possibly totally ununiformed :mad:

20. MissLilly

MissLilly Member

I totally agree!
    Even during the day, normally I carry my camera inside a Tesco's bag (the recycling ones). In the touristic places I feel quite safe, but if you can go with someone else it's better.