1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London 2012 Olympics: Compact camera ban?

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Apr 7, 2011.

1. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

What about the mountain bikes at Hadleigh? :)

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'd like them to go a step further and ban all cameras capable of taking video. Microphones too. Then I could sit back and enjoy the summer of 2012 without the constant stream of cr@p that would otherwise be provided. ;)

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I assume you're referring to the professional gear used by the BBC and other media groups? Judging by the coverage it's getting now, more than a year before, many of us will be totally bored well before New Year 2012.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Precisely.

5. benji

benji Well-Known Member

Exactly.
    So, you've already paid for a fairly expensive ticket, and you can't take a few snaps to take home and keep for posterity!?
    I just don't like the way this world is going. Where have all the good old days gone? And we can't even blame Brussels for taking this stupid decision (which is what we normally say when we know we can get away with this excuse. Unfortunately, none of that this time)

If they're unsure about image rights, the other things they could've done is to ask whichever athletes who don't want to be photographed by their fans not to enter the Olympics at all.
    I doubt many of them would've gone : "I've trained hard for 4 years, I defo fancy my chances of getting a medal, but the assault of having my pic taken in an event (watched by billions on TV) is taking things a bit too far... So, I won't compete... I like to remain private, me!"
    How many athletes would've said that?
    Benji
    (it's the taking snaps that counts!)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  6. SmutjeUK

SmutjeUK New Member

It's not only the Olympics. Go to the Kent Battle of Britain Museum and you be banned from taking pictures, full stop. Go to certain National Trust Venues/Places and you can't take pictures. The list goes on and on.
    Banning photography means only taking away much needed revenue. If I can not take pictures with WHATEVER Camera I got I have no interest of visiting.
    Just because someone has a 'Pro' Camera does not mean that they are a 'Pro'. Does make the definition on what Camera I use is distinguishing me from being a 'Pro' or 'just an enthusiast' is kind of discrimination in my eyes.
    Just because I spend disposable money on a Camera or Equipment and not on a Car, Bike or Expensive Holidays several times a year (I wish) does not make me a 'Pro'.
    The day will come when we all need to pay for a Photography Licence, same as we pay a TV Licence now. If that mean I can take pictures wherever and whenever with whatever I want, I am all for it.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The attractions take precisely the opposite point of view - that it protects their revenue from postcards, posters, books, DVDs etc.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

OK then, July 2012 isn't it?

The Northern parts of Western Australia are nice in July, may be I could go there to keep out of the way.

9. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

They seem to be able to handle photography a Wimbledon. I used a 400 mm lens for these Wimbledon photos but I can't sell them. Seems fair enough as it was on private property.

Are the Olympics private or paid for out of public funds. If the latter, and the venues are not private, we can take photos.