1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London 2012 Olympics: Compact camera ban?

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Apr 7, 2011.

1. CSBC

CSBC RIP (News Editor)

2. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I wonder whether they will start banning high diopter spectacles.

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

What is it about human beings that the moment one or more gets any form of authority their first instinct is to find something to ban?...[​IMG]

Aside from that the prices of the tickets'll probably mean having to sell the camera just to buy your seat...:)

5. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

What's the betting there will be alot of empty seats at the games.

The UK is a nation of photographers. You start banning even little compacts with zooms could be a real issue. It also mean searching every person who enter the games. Then turning them away.

I say petition time. We want the tax money back for the games please. I will not be support any bid in the future that is for sure.

6. P_Stoddart

Will AP be getting statements from Panasonic and Samsung if this ban comes in?

Sponsoring a event that stops people using their products. Or are the rules only for other camera brands like Mastercard and buying tickets. :D

7. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

"Professional" cameras were banned at the Bejing games - perhaps we're just trying to beat China's restrictions, you know, going for gold and all that.

With all the hassle of getting there, cost of tickets, the likelihood of completely mental security etc, this is enough to tip the edge for me. It also seems like a near impossible logistical task, are they going to have a list of compact models to check through?

8. P_Stoddart

Well they have already been flooded with calls about the first hint of a ban. Can you imagine if they start move down the camera range.

I would argue they have missed a trick here. Why not sell photography permits for private use. Then those who want to take the odd picture would already have been cleared on a database.

Problem solved IMHO.

9. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Well it's a start. Now lets hope they extend the ban to TV cameras.

10. Paul_Reading

Paul_Reading Well-Known Member

So how is it going to work then. Thousands of people will turn up with outlawed equipment and what happens next, "throw you camera in this bin sir then you can go in"?

It will be impossible to police.

I really think they need to lighten up.

I think this Olympic games is worse than Russia and I do not understand how it is we have come to give in to this. What am I talking about. Well in Communist Russia that had lanes in the middle of the roads only for officials, the Olympics have the same things. They have introduced a law that makes it a criminal offence to advertise near the games on private land without planning permission. This is to prevent non-sponsors advertising. It is outrageous, we have always supported competition, it is part of the free market economy we live in, this law is straight out of communist Russia.

11. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I'm sure that you can buy a pair of binoculars which have a camera built in......

12. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

They'll probably ban those to.

Why not just ban spectators ....

13. P_Stoddart

14. P_Stoddart

Makes the stadium cheaper to build, no seats. :)

15. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I would expect most of the guiding lights laying down these rules were appointed during the last government, and took their cues and mindset from various Home Secretaries with their apparent keenness to ban all normal activities associated with photography, and to control everything.
    My civil engineer brother refused to consider working on the Olympic site as DNA samples were required from all contractors - I understand that these requirements may now have been relaxed, but it gives you an idea of the paranoia.

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Oh piffle, it's not for security, it's commercial - they want to protect image rights, as with most professional sports.

17. Graham_RM13

Graham_RM13 Well-Known Member

What if you need an "Aid to Vision" if they say NO! that's against the DDA :)

18. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

How about if I claim to be a bit forgetful and say I need the camera as an "Aid to Memory" ? :D

19. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Half the fun of going to any event as a day out, is to record it with photographs. I don't see them selling many tickets to keen photographers at any level.
    I know I won't bother. If all I can do is watch, I would rather watch on TV.

20. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

As a keen cyclist, I won't be bothering with tickets for the velodrome. Instead, I shall go to watch the road races and time trials which, for the most part, are on the open road where it will be impossible/difficult to ban cameras.