1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local Elections - Turnout.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MickLL, May 4, 2012.

1. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

The media today are all wondering why the turnout yesterday was so low.

Here's a comment from my area. We had two elections; the Parish Council with three candidates and the Borough Council with four candidates.

In the run up to the election I saw no communication from any of the seven candidates. No posters, no leaflets, no phone calls. Nothing, zilch, zero.

Apart from the sign pointing to the polling station one might be forgiven for not knowing that an election was happening. OK I exaggerate a little - the council sent out polling cards a few weeks ago.

If the candidates can't be bothered to introduce themselves and put their thoughts and policies before us then what right do they have to expect us to vote for them?

MickLL

2. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I have to say Mick... I could have written that. It's was EXACTLY the same where I live. Normally we do get the odd leaflet shoved through the door but this time s*d all..!! Now I do believe in the saying 'Put up or shut up' but in honesty I would have to have gone down the list with a pin. I would have known nothing about any of them.

3. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

When I went vote it was deserted.

I was only one to go in for at least 5-10 minutes while I as there (looking at painting in the library).

I would have voted anyway. But did get a visit and raised some issues.

4. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Personally glad they didn't waste the paper. ;)

5. miked

miked Well-Known Member

The result seems to me to have been an overwhelming vote of indifference. Or is it because folks no longer trust politics and politicians to act in the nation's best interests?

6. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

The second option seems te be about right......

7. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

No elections here this time, but would have to agree the low turnout is down to disillusion and/or recognition that the parties and candidates are as bad as each other - though I detest that local and even parish candidates feel obliged to adhere to national party allegiances instead of representing the community.
    Watched some of the news coverage with disbelief at the number of interviewees stating that they would not be voting as "it doesn't affect me" - are so many people that naive?

8. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

There was one guy who said he'd never voted in his life, and he wasn't that young either.

9. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

The people are all wondering why the media is so stupid.

If they don't know by now why people are fed up with politics then they never will.

Regards, Mike

10. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

Perhaps they meant it doesn't make any difference to them - in which case they are right.

Are people so naive as to think the occasional vote makes this country into a democracy?

Regards, Mike

11. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

apart from an occasional form in the post from the council and our voting cards...sod all around here.. I think I may have caught a glimpse of the local tory running round the corner or maybe it was just some guy in a blue suit........I get the impression of local "future leaders" being scared some voter wil talk and knock down their(with thanks to Jimi) castles made of sand

12. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

My experience was the same as Mick's.

At least in the general election we had some calls. Our local MP, Adam Holloway is particularly good at that and even spent a good half hour of his Saturday night talking to me on the phone despite the fact that I had told him I'd certainly not be voting for him due to his party allegiance. He was most personable and I ended up enjoying our chat. Both my wife and I have written to him a few times about various issues and he's been very responsive.

As I say he isn't of the correct party for me but seems like a decent man. At least he works hard, and did have a proper job in the real world before becoming a MP and didn't just graduate through political researcher/advisor grades

I suspect the motives of some of the local election candidates and it seems they just rely on party loyalty for votes instead of actually engaging with the punters.

Willie

13. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I always vote for the candidate not the party.

14. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

How would you suggest that I, for example, did that when none of the candidates made any contact of any sort?

MickLL

15. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

The issue for me is that I really haven't had any experience of how a change in local council affect me. Through my job, there are obvious differences, so voting on that basis is fine. What I have found is that the name of the candidate or colour of the party makes little difference to my 'point of use' of council provision and services. I agree with and support much of what the council does, but find myself in opposition to certain olives and these don't seem to change with the colour of rosette outside town hall.
    All a bit bleak, really.
    Good to see that Londoners (and indeed the rest of us) have an extended term of entertainment with Boris, as opposed to that smarmy *******. Really couldn't face the prospect of Livingstone presiding over the Olympics (mind you, looking at the tiny margin, there were lots of Londoners who could)!
    Funny old world.....

16. Roger_Provins

.... perhaps none are worth a vote?

17. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I've always tried to vote, and have done so many times, but wasn't involved this time round.

I am worried about the legitimacy of a system which allows, in some cases, severe changes of course based on a very low turnout. We're very ready to moan against the unions when their vote on a low turnout affects our lives, but as a nation we have not seen fit to bring in some requirement that we should vote. I'm against the Australian system where, I understand, people are legally required to vote, because with an ageing society, that must have its own problems for many less mobile folk.

Perhaps if local political parties knew that a low turnout could invalidate the vote in their area, they would put more effort into canvassing us? I recall a time when the local party offered to transport me to the polling station. Not these days.

I'm also very much against the extension of Postal Voting - in fact, I believe strongly that this should be the exception, and that the safeguards should be seriously strengthened.

18. miked

miked Well-Known Member

What really gets me angry is when politicians try to pin the blame on low turnout on 'voter apathy'. This is utter horsesh*t, when the true fact is that most people aren't apathetic about politics; more properly they are simply disgusted with politicians of all shades and that is the reason for their not voting.

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Is it perhaps time that we made voting compulsory? The Australians do.

If people were compelled to vote we would need another option on the ballot paper "None of the above" but that would send a message too.

The real issue is that, at present, the candidate with the most votes wins. If "None of the above" got the most votes it would be necessary to find other candidates, preferably not professional politicians, to fill the position.

Personally, I can't stand the principal of "Party" politics, each MP or Councillor should be independent with no fixed allegiances able to vote his or her conscience on each matter. It won't happen but I can dream can't I?

20. Roger_Provins

That's also been my dream for years but I guess it won't happen. :(