1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liverpool - What to see & do

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dangie, Sep 1, 2017.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Wife and I thought next week we'd jump on the train and spend a couple of days in Liverpool. Haven't been there since a day trip from school back in the early 1960's.

Has anyone got thoughts on what to see and do?
    Don't mind walking.
    Photography & beer to be on the agenda.

Thank you.

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Go up the Radio City Tower for views over Liverpool and the Mersey.
    https://www.viator.com/tours/Liverp...Mp690A4BvP592wZm3VZddb4WoCGKvWRQaAqfwEALw_wcB

Get over to Birkenhead for views of the Liverpool Waterfront - perhaps best in the morning for sunshine on the waterfront buildings.
    Can't advise on the beer...
    Liverpool One replicates most other shopping "experiences"..
    Enjoy yourselves - - from an Old Mancunian

3. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

When we went we did not have much time to roam so we just went to the Cathedrals the new and the old and we had a lovely afternoon meal in one of them but we are told there is such a lot to see and do in Liverpool....enjoy.

dream_police likes this.
  4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

My wife comes from the Wirral and used to work in Liverpool,. she still has relations there If you can wait to Sunday I will ask her to mark you card. In the meantime here are some suggestions from me

The Beatles museum
    The Pierhead - a strange mixture of old decay and new regenerated parts. I will not bore with my shots but it is very photogenic.
    Take a train to Southport and see the Gormleys.
    Remember that the Liverpool sound is not just the Beatles and Cilla it includes at least one truly great soprano (Valerie Masterson)

Enjoy your visit.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  5. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Southport? I thought they were at Crosby?

Cheers, Jeff

6. RogerMac

I stand corrected. I was being driven around at the time and must have got muddled Thanks for the correction. We were staying in a hotel in Southport and must have driven down to see them.

7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Find a brewery and see if they do tours?

Or check in advance...

8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

The docks are ok to wander around, bit touristy but not bad. There is The Tate, the museum of the history of Liverpool, an old house at the docks which I think IIRC is set up in the war era. If it's still on there is the exhibition of British music, in, I think, the Cunard building at pier head. I thought that was ok but quite pricey. Shopping wise Liverpool One is quite nice.
    I have never been on it but I think you can also look around the Dazzle ship, also at Albert dock.
    I was last there in July for a gig, so only had a few hours to spare. It certainly has improved over the years. The taxi driver was telling me that they are now very busy with cruise ships. There were a lot of Japanese tourists when I was there.
    You could always see if there is anything on at the Empire theatre. We are going to see War Horse there in the autumn, so they do show some decent productions.

9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

10. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Photography, see above.
    Beer, Mathew Street

11. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Both Cathedrals (Anglican and Catholic)
    Tate Liverpool (Albert Dock I think)
    The Gormley stuff is 100% Crosby - but too far to walk from L'pool centre

Regent Road for run down/renovated interesting photography

Mr Chilli (in Seel Street) for authentic chinese food.

Can't tell you about beer in the centre but in Waterloo (near the Gormley stuff) there's a micro brewery (I'll try to find the name for you) that sells good stuff.

MickLL

12. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Crickey everyone. Looks like we'll need a week not two days...!!
    All this is much appreciated. Thank you.

13. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Read the pay and display instructions - I think it was Walker gallery I got my only ticket so far. It was a Sunday and the sign gave a price I'd expect to pay for all-day Sunday parking but underneath in minuscule writing it said "per hour or part thereof"

14. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

I understand that it has long been the principal port for departure to the New World.

Cheers,

R.

15. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

...unless you were black, in which case it was Bristol...

16. Roger Hicks

Not exactly. The so-called Triangular Trade consisted of taking trade goods to Africa, where they were used to buy slaves from other Africans or Arabs; shipping the slaves from Africa to the New World; then returning with sugar and tobacco. I am not defending Bristol's part in the trade for one moment, but the slaves did not leave from Bristol.

Cheers,

R.

17. RogerMac

Nor anywhere else in the UK itself as since "Cartwright's case" in 1569 it was impossible own another person here. Like the other Roger I am not defending the slave trade in any way but that case did prevent any being landed in the UK as they automatically became free if landed here..
    Reports of the date of the case vary and it may ave been in 1563

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Wishfull thinking. Modern slavery is very much allive. I understand, without real evidence, that people of two very different cultures are mainly responsible for the problem in Britain. I am not going to name them for two reasons. I don't have proper evidence. The subject cannot be discussed for PC reasons.

19. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

But it is not legal. There is a difference.

S

Andrew Flannigan and RogerMac like this.
  20. Roger Hicks

Rubbish. Why not just come out into the open and say "Muslims"? It's nonsense, of course, because ijn the UK it's a matter of rich idiots from some countries, which are coincidentally Muslim. While you're at it ignore Thais, Eastern European people traffickers...

As Steve says, the key word is LEGAL. Stop hiding behind nostalgic and frankly racist euphemisms. Modern slavery is widely discussed by grown-ups, e.g. https://www.state.gov/j/tip/what/ or http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...-bars-and-food-trucks-modern-slavery-persists or https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/06/lolas-story/524490/ or... well try Google.

Cheers,

R.