1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Live view in DSLRs

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Jul 2, 2007.

1. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

When I do that I get offered Canadian Real Estate
    As well as quite a lot about Las Vegas :D ;)

2. Dom_Rivers

Dom_Rivers Well-Known Member

I won't take the bait as Garry is only repeating the camera I mentioned at the start of the thread, how do you rate it?, my acquaintance thinks his is great.

3. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Dont you look a tad like Sam Tyler there...

4. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Is he dead, mad or living in 1973?

5. Garry McNamara

Garry McNamara Well-Known Member

I think it's fine but then I buy a new camera about every twenty five years!

6. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

Is he mad, in a coma or back in time?

[​IMG]

7. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

And why have I ended up in 2008?

8. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

He's Harold Saxon!!! :eek:

9. Garry McNamara

Garry McNamara Well-Known Member

...all those quotes are starting to look like the Time Tunnel - maybe he's there?

10. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

What a fab program. Used to be one of my faves when I was a youngster

11. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I was going to comment on liveview screens, but the thread has burnt out, so I won't bother.....

Except:

1...I can see a use in macro work with the camera on a tripod.
    2...In 'over the heads' shots at sports events but only with a flip screen.

I find the facility useful at times on the Nikon Coolpix 5400.

:)

12. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

I would love a live preview but ONLY if it was a flip screen. Its probably why I use my S3 every day and Id use the DSLR a LOT more if I could have one...

13. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

With all optical finders that I've used so far, I can compose and focus a picture pretty well. With the LCD on the back of my DSLR I need my glasses - no contest really; the viewfinder wins.

14. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Oh I only use AF with the flip screen Im not sure it would be any good for MF, I havent tried. Therefore Im not at all sure it would be any good for macro.

EDIT: appalling typos fixed :D

15. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

At last someone has seen the Emporer's new clothes :).

I'm sure that it would be no good for macro. First there's the specs point (a very good one for me). Second I'm sure that the viewing screen would not have enough resolution for truly critical focus. Third there's the common difficulty that you can't actually see the screen in sunlight. Fourth there's the impossibility of nailing down a live subject while you switch between full screen/magnification modes etc.

As for using such a screen for DoF preview that's laughable too. (Very sincere apologies to whoever suggested it).

I have the impression that the whole macro suggestion came from folk who have never taken a (real) macro (as opposed to a vaguely close up).

Sorry for rant.

MickLL

16. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Live View, never tried it, when the E-330 came out my firdt reaction was 'what a stupid idea' Since then most people who've tried it seem to like it, it has to be a major advantage for underwater photography.

I think the screen needs to flip out to make best use of it in circumstances other than sub-aqua.

My next camera will have it, complete with flip out screen. I'll decide then if I think it's a worthwhile addition.

Richard

17. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree with that! It's very difficult to compose a shot well underwater through the camera housing, mask etc. Live view will make a massive difference to underwater photography - mainly in the shot composition area.

Graham :D

18. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Morning B_C,

I have been to that pub a few times with Tommy (AP and London Meet-up) and Jen, a friend/co-worker from Vancouver who had moved over to London to work at Snappy Snaps - Marylebone High Street - (and since moved back to Canada) and we all quite enjoyed it :)

Cheers,

Jack

19. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Not sure I would agree with that. I use an Olympus Mju770 for underwater shooting and the screen is next to useless! Unless you get the angle EXACTLY right, the reflections make it all but impossible to see what's on the screen anyway - the Minolta APS underwater camera I used to use had an optical finder and although a little awkward to use it was at least possible to get a vague idea as to what you're aimed at. I'm hoping that more use will help me get the angle right more often - and as a general beach camera it's great.

Maybe the extra air between the screen and the water reduces this problem - anyone got experience?

20. LordMinty

LordMinty Well-Known Member

Hmm.. these all sound like comments of someone who's not actually tried the technology in question. Don't get me wrong - as was quite cynical about Live View myself before I saw it in action - after I did I became a convert.

Firstly, sorry to disappoint but the E-330 screen certainly does have enough resolution.

Second, the screen is surprisingly good in sunlight - and if it isn't good enough for you, you can always buy and fit a screen shade.

I can't disagree about live subjects, but realistically it isn't any easier through a traditional viewfinder either is it?

Thirdly, DOF preview again, works surprising well - as good as TTL DOF preview systems.

Lastly, what do you mean by "a (real) macro (as opposed to a vaguely close up)"?

I've used our E-330 with extension tubes and bellows (not at the same time!)... does that count or do only 'proper' dedicated macros lenses count in your eyes?