1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Live view in DSLRs

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Jul 2, 2007.

1. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

I certainly think we should prevail upon TFC to buy in an extra supply of temporary banning orders - we might well be needing them. :)

2. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Oh, hark at Madam "I've got a full-frame sensor"! Anyway, I could never put up with such a tiny format - the depth of field is just too wide for decent selective focus effects. Nothing smaller than my Tachihara will do. ;-)

3. Garry McNamara

Garry McNamara Well-Known Member

My day to day camera used to be 10x8 Cambo with 450mm lens - nothing was ever in focus - infinite lack of depth of field and endless depth of focus (one for the anoraks out there)

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Plenty of us anoraks... :)

5. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I'd rather have a GoreTex though ;)

6. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

More of a frockcoat person, myself.

[​IMG]

7. Garry McNamara

I'm old enough to remember when an anorak was an utterly permeable jacket that actually contained foam in a quilt pattern designed so that it could soak up even more water. The only people I see wearing those now are normally on a horse - sometimes the horse is wearing one too. Can a horse be an anorak? I've never seen one at Clapham Junction with a flask and a notebook?

Has this all got a bit Lounge do you think? Or just lounge jacket?

8. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Never had any trouble focusing my 10x8, except just a little with the 150mm lens - too wide for the fixed fresnel lens on the focusing screen to allow fine judgement. Everything longer than that (including a 450mm) is easy-peasy - much, much easier in fact than focusing my 5x4s, which are a real pain by comparison.

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Well, I say GoreTex...

But I'm more of a leather coat person

[​IMG]
    Fen - Lamb & Flag (London)

10. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Live View does offer some very useful benefits, but it is a poor substitute to the traditional glass prism and SLR viewing.

Viewing a live image remotely, by USB cable or wirelessly to a much larger screen (5"x4" minimum) on which you can properly assess DOF, focus and exposure, (Via controls built into the screen) would be much better, and maybe, this is what will eventually happen. Manufacturers would undoubtedly love losing the hassles and costs incurred by glass prisms, so maybe we will see more 'features' nabbed off the Video camera?

11. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Wigmore Street?

Just off...

12. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Nah, 33 Rose St, near Covent.

See here

One of the best little boozers in London. Excellent toasties :D

You're thinking of the one on James St (no.24)

13. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

Ey up Fen.

I've been meaning to ask but I didn't want t create a thread, where is David Steel these days? Or have I just missed his posts?

14. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

David Steel had turn into Lounge Lizard...

15. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

I will try and keep up. :D

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Turned back into Lounge Lizard, that is... he was Lounge Lizard before he was David Steel, I think.

17. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

That's right. And he was David Stout before that. Confusing, eh? :)

18. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

Thank you for that information Angela. I look forward to reading the article.

Let's just hope there are no more postal strikes: my copy of AP didn't drop onto the doormat until this morning! :(

Whilst writing, did Philip Dunn work on PBO for a while, or am I thinking of someone else?

19. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

OK Garry I'll take the bait …?

Edit: Actually let's leave it to someone else, you can always PM me ;)

20. Garry McNamara

Ask Barney!