1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Live view in DSLRs

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

Now Canon, Olympus and Panasonic have live view DSLR cameras I'm sure it won't be long before they live view sensors become a more standard item. I wonder how useful you think they are. Go to the Home Page to vote in our latest poll.

Do you think Live View is useful on a DSLR?

damien

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

This is a tough one to answer...

I can see the appeal, but don't know if it's needed.

3. JDCB

JDCB Well-Known Member

Before voting, could someone please enlighten me as to whether there is a trade-off if you do have live view? I can see how it could be useful for some subjects (TBH I have not found a need for it with my Nikon DSLR, but then to me DSLRs are still a pretty new thing, and I certainly did not have it with 25 years of film SLRs). Before voting "yes" I'd like to know if there's something I'd be giving up that could - to me - be worth more than the live view. Is the viewfinder darker? Or does it add a lot to the cost of the DSLR? Or something else?

James

4. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I have live view in my DSLR - it's called the viewfinder. The only penalty I pay is to lose the image for an instant at the moment of exposure.

MickLL

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Sounds like you're a "don't know"! :)

That's what I voted, FWIW. I think there are times it might be useful, but it doesn't strike me as being universally so - but then I use the optical viewfinder most in my digital compact.

6. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Had to put me down as a "Don't know" as well. Firstly, I've not used a live view DSLR and secondly because I'm not sure if a Zigview (or similar) counts as live view.

Personally, I would rather have a 90o finder than an LCD screen for ground level work (but if I used a live view DSLR I might change my mind)

7. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

My feelings precisely. Either that or a proper waist-level finder, though sadly the various manufacturers have long since stopped making even their pro-level cameras with interchangeable finders.

On that basis I've voted 'no' - I think there are better options.

8. Carrie

Carrie Well-Known Member

Not having one hasn't once made me think 'if only I had a live view on this'

When I use my compact (which isn't often now) I prefer to use the viewfinder to the live view screen.

Perhaps it would be useful on entry level models for people moving up who've never used a proper viewfinder, and eventually view finders will become like film, loved by people who started out with them, but a bit of a puzzle to other people.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

You don't need interchangeable finders to have a WLF and a prism. Well, not if you're Rollei, anyway...

10. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Put me down as a don't know. I have used compacts with live view screens which I'm not entirely convinced about. If a dSLR was equipped with a flip-out movable screen and magnification I can see how it might be useful in low (or other awkward) angle photography and macro work other wise it seems pointless...

11. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I posted above that I use the viewfinder - and as it's an SLR that's a live view.

What I don't understand is what an electronic live view (I assume that's what we are talking about) would give me that I don't already have.

MickLL

PS I already have a right angle finder that clips onto the eyecup of my viewfinder.

12. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

My question would be that if the "DSLR" have live view and just what would be the point of the eye piece that you would normally look through in a "proper" DSLR!

And having experience using the live view on the olympus SP-500UZ compact, it's quite difficult to see what I am trying to take!

So it's a no in my case and I must protest that if the live view DLSR is the fad it should be renamed as "compact slr" (CSLR). :rolleyes:

13. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Beat me to it! :cool:

14. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

How so?

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The SL2000F and 3003 have a WLF at the front of the camera and a prism at the rear. Engaging the WLF blocks the optical path to the prism. Works very well for low-level work. If both of us ever make a Mods meeting, I'll bring the 3003 along. :)

16. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Ah - fascinating. Yes - do please bring it, though I'd guess the chances of it happening are slim. :)

17. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

It'll probably be in 3003 at this rate!

18. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

We can compare £150 Challenge pictures then - it might just have finished by that time! :)

19. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

I have Live View on the S5 Pro, and I have used it on more than one occasion so I voted "Yes".

20. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

To be able to view and compose your shots in bright light, perhaps? To have all your exposure information easily viewable through the viewfinder?

The only advantage I could see to having a live view would be for shooting at awkward angles, and then only useful if the screen could flip out. I'm sure it may be useful to press 'togs who hold their cameras way in the air in an attempt to shoot some celeb getting in or out of a car/restaurant/venue of choice, but even then it's so frenzied I'm not sure they could really use it to compose a shot.

I haven't used one and personally I see no reason to have one for my purposes. Because that doesn't cover all situations, I vote 'Don't Know'.