1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little Waterfall and Petals

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by beatnik69, Nov 17, 2013.

1. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

This was taken at Gleno Waterall, Co Antrim. Everyone in these parts has the same standard shots of the waterfall so I went up above the 'fall and found this little waterfall. Before anyone asks, the petals were as I found them and not staged.

[​IMG]
    Petals.jpg by beatnik69, on Flickr

2. Clodhopper

Clodhopper Well-Known Member

Very pretty colours, good exposure and just enough movement in the water to make it interesting.

I'd crop a sliver off the bottom, as for the red petals, placed or not, my mouse cursor would still be hovering over the clone tool... ;)

3. Parsen66

Parsen66 Well-Known Member

Very nice and as Clod has commented just enough movement in the water without it turning to 'milk'.

If you hadn't of mentioned the petals to be honest I wouldn't have seen them. Either remove them or make them pop a little more.

4. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

bootiful eye sweep left to right but takes a while for the delicious curve of the right bank to take the eyes down to the petals
    hence, agree with Parsen, a judicious enhancement of the red could be in order?
    Not so sure about La Clod's urge to clone them out, they aren't big enough to crash the view. Try with & without maybe?

Must get back to Ireland......

5. Vivid Blue

Vivid Blue Well-Known Member

Nice shot. I wouldn't clone out the red petals at all - they were there and all part of the autum scene so leave them in

6. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

I wonder how the petals got there?

I prefer them in the scene which is perfectly pleasant - Another approach might have been a wide-angle shot with the petals prominent in the foreground and the falls behind.

But you would probably have needed wellies for that one :rolleyes:

7. beatnik69

If I remember, there was a plant of some sort on the right hand side with those flowers so in all likelihood they've simply blown off and stuck there. any which fell in the water would simply have washed away.

I was in wellies, in the river. :) I wanted to do the sort of shot you describe, closer to the rock with petals, making it a more dominant feature but unfortunately time was against me.

Thanks for all the comments.

8. 2lude

2lude Well-Known Member

personally i love it just as is

9. Myopic George

Myopic George Well-Known Member

I like this as is. One thing I'd like to have seen is the camera tilted up slightly to show more of the opening above the waterfall (and space above the branch), and less of the pooled water at the bottom...

10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I'd just desaturate them a bit myself. They are a real distraction.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Agreed.

I'd also selectively edit the white balance on the wee fall itself - it's a touch too blue for my liking but ok in the rest of the frame.

12. beatnik69

I was a bit concerned about that. I'll see what I can do.

13. beatnik69