1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lines per picture height

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by mfc, May 20, 2015.

1. mfc

mfc Member

AP seems to have reverted to old habits in the last couple of weeks. The Group Test in the 23 May issue, for example, cheerfully refers to the Nikon D3300 "is able to resolve an impressive 32 l/ph ...".

That is, truly, not impressive -- unless one adds the implied (but not explained anywhere in the article) multiplier of 100, which raises the figure to 3200 lines/picture height.

However, this is surely impossible for a sensor that has only 4000 pixels in its height? To resolve 3200 lines you would need (at least) 6400 pixels -- and that's assuming de-mosaicing does not affect resolution.

Maybe it's time for an article on this topic?

Mike C

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It is a typo. Those charts are for lines per mm. Furthermore it looks like they just took a random bit of the chart as the examples don't show the limit being reached.

3. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Thank you for pointing this out. I am guessing (if there is an error), as I don't recall a recent 'group test'. that an old InDesign 'master template' has been used.

As for:

I will investigate this and the OP tomorrow.

Regards
    mark

4. mfc

mfc Member

It has been a bit random for some time, e.g.,

2 May, p46: "3400lph" (NX 500)

16 May, p46: "3000l/ph" (EOS M3)

23 May, p48: "32l/ph" (the group test)

whereas in August 2014, p58: "3600lp/ph" (dp2 Quattro) which is arguably 'OK'.

Mike

5. mfc

mfc Member

Meant to add: the lens tests resolution charts consistently use "LP/PH".

Mike

6. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Back to the ship, everybody! ;)

Well, it is the 75th anniversary of Dunkirk.

7. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

I think it would go straight over most people's heads anyway, mine included. I never understand or care much for all this test chart stuff. Has it got good buttons? That's what counts.

8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Aah, Ffolrord, what about the bells & whistles? These days, it's hard to buy a camera without them. Cheers, Oly

9. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

No just buttons, more buttons please. None of this fiddly touch screen malarkey and encyclopedia britannica sized menus with fifty pointless filter effects. Buttons (inc. dial wheels).

10. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

Well said sir!

11. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Indeed.

And Knobs, possibly even brass! :)