1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Limited Lenses

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hi,

This may have been raised before, but if so, I missed it. I have long been puzzled over the naming. What is Limited about them?

They are not a limited edition, they are not limited in quality or price.

Funny choice along the lines of the *ist fiasco. :confused:

Any suggestions?

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

At least "Limited" is easier to enter into a search engine than "*ist"! :)

I've heard of an association with "Limited Edition", but this doesn't really make sense.

3. grove39

grove39 Well-Known Member

Limited to the amount of people who can actually afford them probably :)

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Limited production quantities perhaps?

5. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I always thought it was because they were 'limited' to produce the best image quality.

Like instead of being an f1.8 and being soft wide open, it's limited to f2.8 or f3.1 (or whatever that odd one is) to ensure optimum quality all the way through the range, even wide open...?

6. Monobod

That sounds like a good explanation and it fits the line up. Similarly some of the film lenses were limited to f/4, probably for the same reason, especially for a zoom lens.

7. Eye Robot

Eye Robot Well-Known Member

According to Ricoh US in various places here:
    http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/camera-lenses

or

or

8. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Regarding the origins of the Limited, David, since their inception, I've always had a "who gives a rats.." :eek: but, they are of limited size but, IMO, unlimited optical performance :)

Cheers,

Jack

9. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

The common trait with the Ltds as opposed to the * lenses (which are also optically excellent and of top notch build) is the compactness. I think speed is sacrificed in certain cases to maintain that.

Whilst the DALtds are fine lenses I think the holy trinity of FALtds are just special lenses - right up there with the very finest lenses around. The prospect of a full frame to explore their native focal lengths is very enticing indeed.

And of course the Ltd mentality existed way before the Ltd denomination. Look at the orignal K mount lenses - the 'K' series of lenses. You have:

K28mm f3.5
    K28mm f2
    K30mm f2.8

It seems they made lenses then for the fun of making lenses. Each of these is stellar too and a joy to use. And that's why I shoot Pentax. My lenses will outlast me - look after them properly and they will last for many lifetimes.

10. Done_rundleCams

Well stated, F_F, and I seen/heard of the K30/2.8 for a while …. cracking lens :)

Cheers,

Jack

11. Monobod

Thanks for all of your comments, very interesting. I see in the interview on Pentax Forums website with the Guys from Ricoh, there was a hint that a FF may be on the drawing board. Somewhere between the K-3 and the Medium Format body size wise. or was I just dreaming.

You know, when I do the lottery, it is uncanny that I pick a number that is next door to the ones that come up. What are the odds that now I have a K-3, they will announce the K-1 FF? Ha Ha Ha. But it may well be financially beyond reach, so I can relax.

Regards.....

12. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I heard a similar rumbling and that they have two full frame lens prototypes in the works too... But then his is coming from Pentax who took 5 years to bring out a medium format digital camera... When they did, they got it right. But it took five years.

:)

13. Monobod

Was that more to do with Hoya and tight money?

14. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

mmm, that does sound likely, but then the new owners have a good excuse to take their time :)

15. Done_rundleCams

Re: Limited Lenses .. FF news..

Here ya go, Pentax's FF designate at Photokina ….

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1038153477/photokina4

albeit, in the year 2000 ;)

Cheers,

Jack

16. Monobod

6Mp, 2" rear screen.....wow and only 7000 dollars.