1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightroom suppliment.

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Grierson, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

This week's Lightroom supplement was excellent giving, as it did, a good grounding in the software. There was one puzzling aspect, to me anyway! The recommended approach to saving images, given in the supplement, is the one I've always used. i.e. Save the images to the computers hard drive from the memory card, without Lightroom's involvement, and then import them to the Lightroom catalogue from that drive using Import>Add.
    However in item 3 'Make a Second Copy To' of the Import Module discussion it is suggested that time can be saved by using this facility when using 'Add'. This will not work if the recommended workflow above is used. Only when the alternative approach of letting Lightroom import the images directly from the memory card using 'Copy or Copy as DNG do you have the opportunity to specify a first and second storage location. Thus contradicting the recommended workflow.

At least that's how is seems to me. I may of course be completely wrong. :D

Edit: It would appear that the title can not be edited!!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Good except for one thing. How does one upgrade a non-cloud installation?

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You buy an upgrade ( to version 6) from adobe. You need to be pretty determined to navigate your way through the adabe web site as all paths but one lead to the cc product. Upgrade 5 to 6 is £59.99 for a download. Upgrades from earlier versions are listed but I didn't check the price.

4. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

5. Grierson

6. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

It just shows how much attention I've been paying to stuff of late... I didn't even know that Lightroom 6 was out! I'm still using LR4. Is it possible to upgrade directly or do I need to go through LR5 first? If the latter it will be cheaper to just buy LR 6 straight off.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I am sure there was a v4 to v6 price. They are different products so it is a fresh jnstall but there should be a discounted price for upgrade cf first purchase. It just takes a while to find the correct options in the store as they would much rather sell the subscription version.

8. Learning

Thanks for being so helpful; you have just frustrated me further. What is the ****** path?

9. Grierson

Oddly the path: www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshop-lightroom/versions.html
    will take you to a comparisons screen and if you scroll down to the bottom you will find a number of boxes one of which is marked Lightroom 6 with a 'Buy now' link.

Clicking the link will give you some alternatives one of which is an upgrade from LR4.

I say oddly because that is what the screen on my old laptop displays. However when I type in the URL on the machine I'm using to type this post the lower part of the screen is missing. I've tried both IE and Chrome. Very odd and I've no idea why but try it and see you may be lucky. - John

Edit: For what it's worth the link works properly on the iPad :confused:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  10. Learning

Thanks very much for your help. It worked perfectly and I have upgraded without difficulty. I guess that you have saved me a lot of time and frustration. So thanks again.

11. Learning

I have just got round to studying the supplement in some detail.
    Of course there is not room to do any more than scrape the surface of such a complete package.
    However I think that you might have made reference to he 'Add to This Catalogue' option in the export process, and perhaps ticked it in the example illustration.
    If one follows the suggestion of exporting jpegs (saving but in name) to a subfolder of the original location then presumably you want to access it again from within Lightroom. The box should be ticked.
    If one exports to a temporarily connected drive such as a remote drive or a usb memory stick then the assumption is that the exported files will be accessed from another computer and the box should be left un-ticked.
    This is my understanding of it anyway, and how I have used the option since I bought into Lightroom at version 5. At the time it was one of the little gotchas about exporting rather than the more familiar saving which is used by lesser programmes.
    If I have got this wrong then please feel free to tell me.

12. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I don't think you have got anything wrong, Learning, and one of the benefits of Lightroom is that it allows for considerable personalisation of the workflow.

I can't imagine why you would want to access an exported Jpeg from within Lightroom (as you would never, I assume, want to process it any farther - but would go back to whatever virtual copy of the "processed" Raw file that Jpeg had been exported from).

And then, just as I was typing the above, it occurred to me that you might want to be able to search for the Jpeg using Lightroom's cataloguing power.

So, as I say, considerable scope for personalisation.

13. Learning

That's exactly why I keep it in the catalogue. Lightroom is as much a database as an image processor.