1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightroom Supplement

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PhotoEcosse, Jun 29, 2015.

1. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I was interested to receive the Lightroom Supplement with this week's AP. In general very good - but in a number of places the authors seem to take a very convoluted route to destinations that Lightroom has been designed to make exceptionally simple.

To give an obvious and simple example. In giving a graphic representation of workflow, the supplement suggests: Original Image - Save Image to Hard Drive - Import to Lightroom - Catalogue Image............ (all as separate steps)

Why?

As soon as I take a memory card from a camera and plug it into a card reader on my PC, Lightroom automatically opens, is already in Import mode and shows all of the image files on the card in Library Module. I may type in a few keywords if there are some that apply to the whole batch of images, hit the "Import" button and Lightroom automatically copies the image files from the card to my specified Hard Drive (in my case an external HDD), imports them into my Lightroom Catalog and applies whatever import defaults I have set for the camera used.

All in one simple step.

I suspect that the authors (like many other users) may have transferred to Lightroom after using other software and becoming used to more complex workflows. I was lucky in that I bought my first digital camera (a Nikon D80) at just the time the first version of Lightroom was introduced - so I have used Lightroom as my main photo-processing package since Day 1 of my digital career. Now it forms the hub of all my photo-processing and I (when necessary) use Photoshop CS6 and the Nik suite of plug-ins from within Lightroom.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

But that is what Lightroom does if you import directly from camera or card. It saves the selected image to the hard drive and imports it to the catalogue.

I personally prefer to use EOS utility to download and the Quick check tool in DPP to screen and remove rejects and then add the folder to Lightroom.

It may be that I have LR set up wrong but if I try to screen through images in the Library one at a time to do rating then the slightest touch of the mouse scrolls uncontrollably through all images in the folder. This is on a mac where the mouse is touch sensitive. Maybe it doesn't happen on windows with a scroll-wheel mouse.

3. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I can't comment upon the Mac Mouse problem, Pete, but I find the easiest way of paging through images in the Library is to use the right arrow key. Right hand taps the arrow, left hand taps the numeral for the rating (or the delete key if I am being very disciplined).

Eric

4. citipunk

citipunk Active Member

Get the standard mouse and plug it to your mac to see what will happen (some says that it works) Yes standard mac mouse is touch sensitive so I avoid Library module.

I found lightroom very usefull after reading book what it offers (Scott Kelby one) beforing getting it. Do not remember how auto import put pictures in folders when autoimporting from the card that is why I prefer to create folder, name it (name of the place, name of the event etc- so when I think about the picture I can find it without using keywarding just by looking at the names of my folders) I do understand that keywording may be more usefull for some photographers than folders (or both methods together at the time)

Then when importing you can import with preset (ie containing color profile, lens profile, and chromatic aborrytion removed or whatewer you want to apply during import)

The book I read has more pages then LR supplement but on daily basis I use content of couple- this is about workflow and that one thing may work for me and another for you and we need different pages. But it is funny to be asked like you managed to change "LR" and the text in top left corner for your costum one- ie "Sir Photographer ;)".