1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightroom issue

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Gary Coates, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Gary Coates

Gary Coates New Member

Hi, can anyone help me
    When I process photographs in Lightroom, they look fine and download to my PC in bright colours and even open up in Photoshop CC correctly. However, when I try to upload them online or put them in certain other programs, the reds are dull and it is almost like there is a brown filter desaturing the colours in the photos. This does not happen when I process using Photoshop Raw but I generally find Lightroom better to start my processing. Does anyone have any ideas what I am doing Wrong????????????? Cheers Gaz Coates

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

How do you get the images out of Lightroom? i.e. what steps do you follow once you've done your editing?

3. Gary Coates

Gary Coates New Member

Hi. I edit in Lightroom and then usually open in Photoshop to finish the editing. I then save to a folder on my desktop. I tried to upload a photo tonight after doing this but the picture had a rusty looking effect. It was dull and lifeless and the colours were washed out. So I edited the same picture in Photoshop Raw and strangely had the same problem. The screen is calibrated and the pictures save with the full colours so I don't know what is wrong. I recently uploaded photos for a photo book online using Photoshop raw and it uploaded them fine. When I added one that had been processed in Lightroom I had the lifeless, colourless effect so I redid it in Raw and it was fine. Weird. I would like to be able to upload to AP but in both cases they looked rubbish. Gaz

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Try turning on print proofing in Develop, select sRGB profile and see what it does. Use the before/after split view. If you are using a wide gamut monitor then there can be quite some difference. Adobe use a very big colour space by default which can display colours not available in sRGB so when you save as jpg and convert profiles it can subdue colours. It annoyed me a lot when I started printing from LR but I am used to it now. I'm not personally aware of having colour trouble saving as jpgs but I only do so to put low resolution copies in Flickr for index purposes so I'm not that fussed about accuracy. As a thought, check you are saving as sRGB and not in the default colour space. A browser these days should cope with sRGB always and Adobe RGB if an icc profile is included but anything else is iffy.

5. EightBitTony

This is why I'm asking - Lightroom makes non-destructive edits, it doesn't change the source file. So, when you finish editing, *exactly* how do you open them in Photoshop? Do you just open the file? Do you export them from Lightroom using the export option, do you right click and choose open in Photoshop, etc?

6. Gary Coates

Gary Coates New Member

Hi Tony. I export them from Lightroom. However, I think it is something else. I tried to submit a pic of a Robin processed in Lightroom to Amateur Photographer. It looked great on my PC screen but when I loaded it to AP, it was drained of colour and dull. So i repeated the process in PS raw, saved to desktop, and the same thing happened when uploading to AP. My pictures will print perfectly and usually I have no problem. I wish I could show you. I must be doing something wrong when uploading but I dont know what.

7. EightBitTony

It could just be that your browser isn't using colour management. Which browser are you using, is there another computer / tablet in the house you can use to check?

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It does sound like either you are not converting to sRGB or the browser colour management isn't working/handling the colour space you have chosen. For posting on the web sRGB is the default colour space so you are most safe saving jpgs in that.

9. GlennH

GlennH Well-Known Member

I believe most browsers these days are colour-managed by default (except IE), so the most probable cause of a loss in saturation is not embedding the profile in an image file that was edited in a larger colour space than sRGB (i.e. Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB). If you embed the profile, you can use any colour space you like, though the benefits are limited - pictures will look a bit more colourful on some people's monitors, or quite a lot more in a minority of cases.

10. Gary Coates

Gary Coates New Member

Hi all. Thanks for your help. y colour profile on Photoshop was wrog so I changed it. I didnt know about the SAVE FOR WEB option in the File-Export menu which I have now ound. So I saved for the web and sized the file accordingly and now it shows up in its full colours. Many hanks to all. Gaz