1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightroom Going to Subscription

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by dangie, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

On Macs you get Preview free of charge and I find it the best editor for general use. I use Elements 11 for the jobs Preview can't handle. Then again I don't use RAW so my needs are few. ;)

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I only occasionally use raw. When I do, I convert the files to DNG with the Adobe DNG Convertor*, then edit with ACR/Elements 11.

If they ever make Elements Cloud-only, I will buy a copy of the last standalone version and hope it lasts me out. It probably will. ;)

* Elements 11 doesn't handle all the types of raw file from my various cameras!

3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

If more camera manufacturers gave the option of saving raw as a DNG file (as Pentax, Hasselbad & Leica do) then converting wouldn't be necessary, and software wouldn't need to be updated so often.

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Which would make life easier for the s/w companies. And probably also somewhat shorter... ;)

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Don't give them ideas....:eek:

The cost of which went to the processors, the film suppliers and the paper suppliers - the camera make got nowt...

6. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Quite possibly, but what irks me is when a new camera comes out not covered by your existing software, you still have to buy an upgrade - even if the raw format has not changed. :mad:

7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

That's why I use the convertor to change files to DNG - the convertor is upgraded fairly regularly and is free.

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

..free at the moment of course

9. Justin Case

Justin Case New Member

Maybe is just me, but I find that $10 per month for Lightroom plus Photoshop is incredibly cheap

10. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

In pure financial terms, I agree - but there remains an uncomfortable sense that one has been trapped in something that one would have preferred to have avoided.

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I have 2 software subscriptions that cost more but I depend on neither. The question is all about a) confidence that $10 doesn't hike - the non-classic version is already, if memory serves, significantly more and b) they don't pull it leaving everyone imageless.

peterba likes this.
  12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

An alternative to using Adobe DNG converter and then converting and editing the DNG file is to use the camera manufacturer's software to convert raw to 16bit TIFF. The TIFF file is big because it is demosaiced but that is not really a problem with modern computers and disks.
    Another thread in the magazine feedback room is covering some of the same ground.
    Beyond Lightroom 16th December issue.

13. Jimbo57

Jimbo57 Well-Known Member

If you do not already do so, subscribe to the Lightroom Queen. (free). Her information tends to be completely unbiased and realistic.

The knowedge and advice you will get from her will far surpass anything you will be offered on this (or any other) internet chatroom.

And she is British!