1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightroom Going to Subscription

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by dangie, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

On Macs you get Preview free of charge and I find it the best editor for general use. I use Elements 11 for the jobs Preview can't handle. Then again I don't use RAW so my needs are few. ;)

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I only occasionally use raw. When I do, I convert the files to DNG with the Adobe DNG Convertor*, then edit with ACR/Elements 11.

If they ever make Elements Cloud-only, I will buy a copy of the last standalone version and hope it lasts me out. It probably will. ;)

* Elements 11 doesn't handle all the types of raw file from my various cameras!

3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

If more camera manufacturers gave the option of saving raw as a DNG file (as Pentax, Hasselbad & Leica do) then converting wouldn't be necessary, and software wouldn't need to be updated so often.

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Which would make life easier for the s/w companies. And probably also somewhat shorter... ;)

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Don't give them ideas....:eek:

The cost of which went to the processors, the film suppliers and the paper suppliers - the camera make got nowt...

6. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Quite possibly, but what irks me is when a new camera comes out not covered by your existing software, you still have to buy an upgrade - even if the raw format has not changed. :mad:

7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

That's why I use the convertor to change files to DNG - the convertor is upgraded fairly regularly and is free.

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

..free at the moment of course