1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightroom Going to Subscription

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by dangie, Oct 19, 2017.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

There are computer programs that simulate computers. These are called virtual machines. You can have a virtual machine that runs your old operating system (providing you have an installation copy) and software (ditto) as well if not better/faster than the original. They are often used for software testing especially for programs that need to run on different platforms. You don't have to buy several different computers for testing, only the emulation software.

The assumption made is that virtual machines can be around longer than the original hardware. I don't know how far that stretches in practice.

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

And one area virtual machines don't cope well is high-performance graphics, because they often don't have direct access to the hardware.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Virtual machines are programs that look to other programs as if they were complete computers. The hypervisor is the master program that connects the virtual machines to the real computer. Suppose you have a typical 64 bit computer and run a hypervisor on it. The hypervisor could run a virtual machine that is to all intents an old 8 bit computer and at the same time another virtual machine that appears to be a latest generation 64 bit computer. Because the virtual machines are really just files they can be stored and retrieved like any other file such as an image. In fact several virtualising systems refer to the files that make up a virtual machine as "the image". You can set up complete operating systems in the images so you could have Windows XP to run an old copy of Photoshop and Windows 10 to run the latest version of Lightroom all on your current laptop. Better still most hypervisor support full sharing between the virtual machines so you could copy part of an image from the Lightroom session and paste it into the Photoshop session just as you would on an ordinary setup. The very best bit is that you can copy the image at any time and use it on a different physical machine - a good way to cope with a catastrophic hardware failure.

4. Andrew Flannigan

A lot depends on your expectations. I can run all the graphics I want in either VMware or Virtual Box on any of my 64 bit machines. The oldest is a Core 2 Duo from 2006.

5. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. I think I should have an installation disc for Photoshop Elements 8 somewhere, not that I’m bothered about keeping it when I move on from this PC, but although this PC is Windows Vista, I don’t think I have a more recent Windows installation disc than 95! Also, I seem to remember Microsoft requiring some code to be submitted before Windows would work, to prevent one installation disc from being used to install the program on multiple computers.

If I decide it’s worth taking this last opportunity to buy a copy of Ligthroom, do you know whether it’s available on a disc, and if so, could you hazard a guess at my chances of being able to install it on a new PC in a few year’s time? (I do have a 64-bit laptop, upgraded to Windows 10, which could run it meanwhile, but although this PC has a 64-bit processor, I could only buy it with 32-bit Vista, and its RAM is restricted to <4GB.

With thanks in advance,

Chris

6. Andrew Flannigan

Sorry I can't help there. :( One of the Lightroom users might chip in and answer that one.

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

8. ChrisNewman

Thanks Tony, I’ll have to think whether it’s worth investing in that for the future, or whether I’d do better to chose another RAW processor which would, hopefully, allow me to upgrade to future stand-alone versions if I update my kit.

Chris

9. Andrew Flannigan

I think your safest route for that is one of the open source projects like RawTherapee or darktable.

10. PeteRob

Just to flag that there have been minor version updates to LR 6 so the disk version probably misses some bug-fixes and camera updates.

11. ChrisNewman

Thanks Pete for that warning.

Chris

12. PeteRob

Looking at Adobe website there is no mention at all of LR 6. I'm very confused. Sounds like some subscription users had their LR copies erased by an update. There are instructions as to how to reinstall the "old" version.

13. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

14. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I think I dodged the bullet on this one.. I heard about the 'online only' for future Adobe products, and the free/cheaper Sony version of CaptureOne at about the same time. I figured that with the growing power of LightRoom making it something of a competitor for the 'flagship' product Photoshop, it would only be a matter of time before everything but Elements would be online only.

I started to organize my images into a coherent multi-layered directory structure, and then putting single shoots (parties, events etc.) into C1 sessions, and more general stuff into catalogues. Now the only thing I prefer LR for is making a photo book, but now I think Blurb's BookWright is a much better product anyway. The only thing I now use PS for is the final print, but as I always print from .tiff I don't have to worry about it going out of date with e new camera - stuck on PS5!

15. PeteRob

Adobe opened a forum for folk to,vent their spleen. Some-one mentioned a US software OnOne Raw processor. It looks quite a useful alternative to a standalone LR and claims to be able to import catalog settings and edits but not smart collections. There is a 30 day free trial of the current version. It seems to be a mix of photoshop and LR but not knowing PS I can't comment on all the layers options. It lacks virtual copies.

16. ChrisNewman

I’ve now read a few reviews of CaptureOne Pro, which were generally favourable. Unlike DxO’s editor, it isn’t tied to specific camera/lens combinations, so I assume that although its lens corrections are probably not as good, it would work OK with my photos taken with APS-C lenses on my D800. If I was to buy a copy of Lightroom on disc, hoping it will meet my needs when I’m ready to buy some good editing kit, that would become a dead-end assuming I will want or need to upgrade eventually. CaptureOne Pro is currently priced at €279 + VAT, so it would probably end up costing far less than a subscription for Lightroom. I think I’ll hope it remains available for purchase outright, and assume I’ll buy a copy when I’m ready.

Chris

17. PeteRob

I can see why Adobe are going the route they are. I sat for over an hour on Sunday waiting for a people free moment at a waterfall. I saw one guy with an SLR, two with compacts and maybe 30 or more with smart phones. The people with phones were taking multiple pictures, videos, selfies, group portraits. It was quite an eye opener.

18. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Hopefully you got a people free shot. You must have more patience than me.

I do not have a problem with the subscription model, but I would prefer not to have LR and PS bundled as I rarely use PS. It is just not user friendly/logical as far as I am concerned. No doubt separate subscriptions would be more expensive, so perhaps better just to accept. It is a bit like Sky, I detest having to pay for a full sports subscription that includes football which I do not watch, the fact it contributes to inflated salaries and a seemingly corrupt sport makes it even worse.

19. PeteRob

I did in the end. Not that the outcome was particularly worthy.

I guess it will be some years yet before OS updates etc on my mac give me a specific issue with LR no longer working as a standalone. I don't object to the subscription idea but I don't see myself using Photoshop because it seems to be too difficult. I gave up with Elements 7 as too hard. I failed to understand GIMP. Last year it took me 3 days to figure out how to add "Happy Christmas" in the default font to a photo for use as a card last year.

It has been interesting testing LR alternatives on my win10 laptop. Apart from the indexing the main LR convenience is one place for all my files - I have 3 generations of Canon raw files and Fuji RAF , publishing to Flickr or Blurb without any effort and printing.

Canon have done a good job of updating DPP 4 so it is backward compatible to my 5D files and there is no reason to suppose they will cease. I used that a lot and it is good for printing from but of course is useless for RAF.

I have amused myself with the free Fuji raw converter and a 30 day demo of the full Silkypix product. It is clearly the best option for RAF files but sooooo slow and lacks adequate cloning tools. The highlight recovery possible is just amazing.

The onOne I now found has no geometric correction for keystoning in the 2017 version but it is promised for the future. The cloning tools are far better than in Lightroom though their use isn't obvious. It isn't as good as SilkyPix for RAF files. I watched a U-tube video for its layers tool which I didn't really get. It illustrated how you could process different areas in very different ways.

I didn't try Capture One yet. I used to have the "lite" version which they dropped (apart from the Sony bundle) which l quite liked apart from them cutting off most of the tools so that you got a plug for the Pro version every couple of clicks. At that time you could not print directly from it so I reverted to DPP.

I played with RawTherapee a bit. It doesn't like RAF files much either but there are so many options I could be doing it a misjustice.

20. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Does make you wonder if down the road the camera makers might force camera users to sign up to their website to get the raw files processed ie they stop supplying free software to convert raw to say TIFF or other open formats.

Could be a way of generating more funds from camera sales.

After all in the good old days you bought camera but then paid processing costs for each shot taken.

If the IT market is now moving away from standalone to cloud computing (sort of started like that with a mainframe and terminals)

Then more and more software will be run remotely not on the device and the device just has what is needed for user interfaced and data transmission/compression.

It all comes down to increasing wireless bandwidth and possibly increasing compression. Certainly with fibre optics not a problem.

But I am not really surprised at the move that now LR joins the CC club.

Good practice then to get it right in the camera :p LOL