1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightroom Going to Subscription

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by dangie, Oct 19, 2017.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Bit odd. Not sure I understand that. I have no desire to put all my raw files "in the cloud" and a program that doesn't print is no use to me. Sounds like a new product for camera phone/tablet users building on Lightroom mobile.

3. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

But the Classic version can still print and no need for the cloud?

4. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

It's still subscription though I believe.

5. Bazarchie

Correct.

On another forum I follow the announcement from Adobe that LR will only be available with a subscription has caused a great deal of debate, to put it mildly.

6. PeteRob

wasn't clear to me - loads of stuff about legacy code. Sounds like it will die off. Damn nuisance now that I have all my images in it.

7. Bazarchie

Do you have a subscription or a standalone version?

8. PeteRob

standalone. Have gone from 3 to 4 to 5 to 6 using the upgrade pricing option. I think it was about £60 to go from 5 to 6.

9. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I currently use Lightroom 5 with Photoshop Elements 9. I have been contemplating upgrading Elements to the latest version Elements 2018 but now don't think I will.
    I'm seriously considering switching to ACDSee and/or Paintshop Pro which a few of our club members use.
    I also have Serif Affinity which I bought for the bargain price of £29 when it was first introduced.

I can also see Adobe scrapping their free DNG Convertor.

11. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

That confirms it, then - definitely a bad idea.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  12. Tooslow

Tooslow Well-Known Member

I'm using LR6 with rare excursions to PSE9 or Affinity. I think I'll jump ship, though not immediately. ACDSee is looking favourite with Capture One (expensive!) and On1 being other possibilities. I had Paint Shop some years ago and the bugs and poor support drove me away. I'm not sure there are any other paid for, mainstream products for RAW processing which include good asset management.

Would a support group on these forums, answering questions to us potential ship jumpers, be a good idea or would we be welcomed on the ACDSee etc forums? My eyes have gone square watching promotional videos. I will trial product(s) at some point but it would be good to get some of the questions out of the way.

John

13. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Standalone Lightroom will end with LR6.

Lightroom CC is now renamed Lightroom Classic CC - and is the old desktop version everyone knows, with some performance improvements.
    Lightroom Mobile is now Lightroom CC and is currently a cut down version of Lightroom with cloud backed storage and all files are synced into that cloud.

For existing Lightroom CC users - move to Lightroom Classic CC.

For people who want a lighter amount of processing stuff, and want Lightroom everywhere, Lightroom CC is an option with the cloud storage.

Lightroom CC is going to improve in features, and is basically a re-write from the ground up of old Lightroom so they can abandon the code base which has caused them so many performance issues in the past.

In summary - if you don't want to pay a monthly subscription, LR6 is the last version you'll get.

If you're happy paying monthly and just want the current Lightroom, then Lightroom Classic CC is for you.

If you want to live on the edge, give Lightroom CC a go.

14. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Lightroom CC ... cash cow?

steveandthedogs likes this.
  15. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Of course I can keep on running LR5 (hopefully) as long as it will still import Pentax DNG raw files and Convert to DNG on Import Panasonic raw files.
    Still seriously looking at Paintshop Pro and ACDSee.

16. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

If Julieanne Kost would jump ship to Paintshop Pro or ACDSee I'd be right behind her..... so to speak...... ;)

17. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Oh dear! I was told this would happen on the Adobe stand at the Photography Show, March 2015, but as Lightroom continued to be available for purchase outright, I hoped Adobe had though better of it.

I’m not surprised. I see Lightroom 6 stand-alone is listed as £119.99, whilst the subscription versions cost about that per year. They could lose the majority of their customers, and still bring in more money.

I loath renting software rather than buying it outright, and I believe a key feature of Lightroom is its indexing system, so if you discontinued the payments, although you presumably wouldn’t lose the edits you had made, I guess you’d lose all the effort you’d put into indexing photos. It seems close to being held to ransom!

I’m intending in future to buy a new PC, a high quality monitor, and a good RAW editor, but provided my current PC keeps working, I want to leave that until I’ve caught up giving descriptive filenames to all my current photos. It’s a pity I haven’t already got there and bought a stand-alone copy of Lightroom!

AP has been very complimentary about DxO’s image editor, but unfortunately DxO doesn’t cater for those of us who sometimes use APS-C lenses on FX Nikon bodies.

Chris

18. PeteRob

I'd expect the subscription service to stop working if the payments stopped so you would lose access to the edits too.

I don't use photoshop (couldn't understand Elements even) so I hope they introduce a Lightroom specific licence, in-line with the upgrade pricing route, rather than force everyone to the existing photography package.

I don't have an issue with the principle of licencing. It gives the developer a more even income stream against which to further develop the project and focusses their support onto the current version rather than handling any number of legacy issues but they have to manage the greater dependency. Obsolence will always be an issue. At some point software stops working because of other changes. Sticking to a fixed standalone version such as LR 6 doesn't take away the risk of losing everything somewhere down the line.

19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Using virtual machines mitigates that as much as possible. Once your guest environment is stable you only need to worry about keeping the hypervisor stable on its host(s).

20. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I bought a copy of Photoshop Elements 8 with my D90, perhaps 8 years ago. I’ve stopped using the Adobe Camera Raw part of it since switching to my D800, but it works fine on the D800 JPEGs, and I assume that will be the case until the computer dies; I have multiple copies of the JPEGs saved outside of that computer. I realize that if I wanted better options, and RAW editing for my D800, I could upgrade to the latest version of Photoshop Elements, but so far, I don’t think it’s worth the cost or the new learning curve. I find the cost of most stand-alone programs excellent value, whilst the cost of subscription services seems to be remarkably expensive, perhaps hoping that customers won’t notice how the costs build up.

From what I remember of Photoshop Elements Adobe Camera Raw, the results of editing can be saved in an open format such as JPEG or TIFF. I believe Lightroom also saves the editing information. So I assume that if you ceased to subscribe, your JPEG or TIFF images would be safe, but you would lose either the Lightroom editing information, or the ability to decode it, which would in any case be of little use without Ligthroom itself.
    Andrew, please could you translate the above for those of us who are less techno-savvy?

With thanks, Chris