1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightmeter test bench

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Terrywoodenpic, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Disappointment Over 40 years ago my daughter wrote this exercise at primary school

It expresses my disappointment in the Lightmeter test article, that I had been looking forward to.
    which gave much less information and or "testing" than might be found on a company web page or catalogue.

I know very well that very many new photographers today do not understand, even why, they might need a hand held meter. They neither understand nor believe that an incident meter might hold several aces over their inbuilt meters. Or why two pages of the AP should be wasted on the subject.
    This article has done nothing to correct this perception.
    This is Sad.

[​IMG]

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I couldn't put it quite as graphically, but I also felt some disappointment over the light meters multi test. It seemed to mostly be about flash meters, and a mobile phone program!

3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

4. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I have a Sekonic 308s and what really disappointed me was that the article really did not compare my meter to the more expensive options past 'it is just as accurate'. Well, that's good but do the more expensive options have a white light colour temperature indicator as some more expensive meters have? And can they give me an indication as to which light source is more dominant if there is more than one point of illumination, as more expensive meters can? In short, are the other options simply more expensive or are there more advanced functions over gimmicks like a touch screen.

And what I REALLY want to know is what is the flash trigger voltage for my 308s and the other options? If I plug it into a early model Metz-45 CT1 running at 600 volts trigger, will I destroy part or all of my meter? I've even tried asking Sekonic and I didn't get a response on that little question. Other basic stats like how low an ev it will measure down to were not present.

Added to that my confusion as to why the lumisphere (invercone) would need to rotate - In the short review it's written as a drawback but personally I have never had a problem with just turning the unit around. Never found it a problem. Is it a gimmick like the touch screen?

5. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I will say one positive about some of the other meters info: some of them did have useful points as to the shutter speeds available for analysis, however when this info is not repeated in the other meter reviews it becomes very hard to compare and contrast between all the options.

Example - having just pratted about with my 308s, it goes to 60 seconds at longest. A 30 minute exposure indicator is pretty attractive but as the review does not mention how marked this difference is between the two it seems to have been a bit of a wasted opportunity.

6. Terrywoodenpic

The writer had invercone on the brain when none of them actually had one. The invercone was Westons way of getting around Don Norwoods patent for his sphere.

A rotating head is actually very useful for not casting your own shadow on the cell.
    The article left out any of the non flash meters by Sekonic et al.
    You only need to point at a light source when doing ratios and balancing light, not when taking readings, For that you need to point at the camera.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It would seem that spot metering has disappeared - though I admit I use a hand meter for incident light mostly - it is useful to have a spot metering option. More a market survey than review.

8. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

The Sekonic L-758 still has a spotmeter :) prices vary but appears to be 400 notes :(

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

not even a market survey then :)

10. Terrywoodenpic

11. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

I also agree with the OP. Even elderly people coming back to film after many years like me would have appreciated a bit more than just (what seemed to me anyway) an advertising feature. Following Alex's comment on the Sektronic L-208 in my Voigtlander thread I bought one. A bit more in depth comment about usability/facility for the £ of meters at the lower end of the scale would have been welcome. - John

12. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Your daughter's drawing gave everyone a good laugh in the office. I agree than the feature should have offered some conclusions as to which the were the best choices, rather than just a round-up of the features of each one. The Six of the Best feature (of which this is a part) will be redesigned to ensure that a verdict is always provided in the future.