1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lighting issues please help!

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by frankie mullen, Apr 14, 2017.

?

lighting problems help!!

1. lighting help

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. lighting help

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. frankie mullen

frankie mullen New Member

Hi guy's,

I am so confused with my lighting I would love some help please! I have bought the Elinchrom D-Lite RX one flash gun and have also bought the Elinchrom El - Skyport Trigger to trigger the flash from my canon. Now when I push the test button on the trigger it flashes however when I take a picture it some times flashes and sometimes doesn't? However when it does it just leaves a line of light at the top of the pictures? I have attached some examples so you can see what I mean. It is driving me crazy as I need to it be working asap for a upcoming shoot.Please help! I would really appreciate it

Attached Files:

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't use much flash but this looks like the exposure time is too short for the synchronisation so you are seeing the shutter closing. Plus the flash output looks too much. What are the exposure settings?

3. frankie mullen

frankie mullen New Member

Thanks so much Pete you were right! I have just changed it and everything is working great now! Have a lovely weekend, thanks again

4. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

Without knowing the camera make - you need to read the manual to find what the "Flash Sync" speed is. This is the fastest shutter speed you can use on your camera with flash. A usual range might be in the 1/150th to 1/200th of a second. Some triggers can create a slight delay meaning you have to use slightly slower speeds. For example my Canon 5D has an official sync speed of 1/200th, but I get a slight intrusion of the shutter in the fram if I don't slow it down a bit. In the studio I therefore always use 1/160th.