1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Light studio

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by gininteacups, Jun 1, 2017.

1. gininteacups

gininteacups Member

Hi all,

I run a small publishing house that mainly creates travel magazines.

We previously used a photographer with a studio to do shots of the magazines for our portfolio/social, but he's since closed his studio.

Some of the quotes I've been getting are pretty expensive so I'm exploring the idea of doing it myself. I've got a good DSLR but I wondered what other equipment you'd recommend?

The magazines are A4 at biggest, A5 smallest, so we don't need a massive space.

Previously we got the magazines shot on a grey/neutral background, but I'm thinking about doing something more natural, such as this shot here.

Thanks,

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Is something like this what you have in mind? If so you need nothing more than a bright day and a shady area to tame the sunlight. Your dSLR and standard zoom should do the job just fine.

[​IMG]

3. gininteacups

gininteacups Member

I want to get consistent light across all pictures

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Then you need a studio. It is not my area but for small objects you can get table top light tents which provide a uniform background. They are just like little tents made of a thick gauzy material you light from outside. The light inside is then quite diffuse and uniform. I don't know how big they go e.g. if you want A3 to capture a double page spread. I am assuming you are taking oictures of the magazines not for the magazines.

5. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

You don't mention a budget but for about £1000 you could go to Calphoto (online)/Calumet retailer and buy:
    Manfrotto - a sturdy tripod & 3-way head
    Manfrotto - cross rail MN 131 DDB (if the tripod centre column does not swing to horizontal)
    Counterweight or sand bag
    Then at Wex Phototographic (online or at Norwich showroom - they will also do the Manfrotto stuff you buy at Calumet if you want one stop shopping)
    Pair of continuous lights plus stands plus softboxes - Interfit F5 kit

That should provide the consistency you require. HTH.

If you want a cheaper option, do ask.