1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lewis Baltz - Stills, Edinburgh

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by Zou, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Just seen that following the current Joseph McKenzie exhibition there will be a Lewis Baltz show. Minimal industrial landscapes in beautiful black and white - what's not to love!

AlanW likes this.
  2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Coming across the New Topographers was an impactful moment in my second photographic life, Zou. If you don't have it, I'd recommend the book from the Travelling Light series where photographers explain their way of working. IIRC, Baltz was featured in 'Darkroom'.

If you go, please can you ask if the exhibit is touring, to London perchance? Cheers, Oly

3. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Had a look through the door in passing the other day as they were hanging some of the pictures, the wall I saw had about 30 prints arranged in 5 rows of 6 with the top row a good 9 or 10 feet from the ground - so some may be difficult to view without a step ladder! I'll know better once they open at the weekend :)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Shame it's a little far for me. Would love to see the industrial landscapes. :(

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

As per Oly's request, when I go I'll try to find out if it is touring or likely to appear elsewhere in a different format. I'll post the response here in due course.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I was a bit concerned when they tweeted an image of a grid of photos, not very large, and going high up the wall. Then I remembered how it was a bit like that at SNPG for Ponte City and I calmed down a bit! :)

7. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

The Bailey exhibition last year had a wall with the photos working their way upwards, I could just about make out that there were people in the ones at the top! Luckily there was only one wall like that :)

Will pop into Stills at the weekend or one day next week :)

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Well Bailey was responsible for that show's curation including the layout of all works. Should have stuck to his day job!

9. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Small binoculars in a pocket when you visit there, chaps? I may have to start doing that soon at the club, if I'm forced to sit with the back-benchers. These days, I use weak reading specs for a print comp or lecture!

10. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Called by the exhibition this afternoon, was in and out in 10 minutes, there's really not a lot to see and half my time was spent watching the TateShots clip :

As I suspected each of the two grids of photos on either side as you go in are meant to be viewed as a single work but in my head I was still trying to view them as individual images and they just weren't that interesting. The Prototype Works fared a bit better (I suppose it's all relative!) and one or two of the shots - minimalist urban walls containing a piece of text - I could see myself taking. Before I went I'd heard of Lewis Baltz and that was about all, I didn't leave wanting to find out more. Maybe it's just me, would be interested to hear what other folk think :(

Alan

Zou likes this.