1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lessons from a Wildlife Photography Trail

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by nanhi, Jan 25, 2016.

1. nanhi

nanhi Member

India’s leading newspaper Times of India and travel company Yatra.com organised a one day safari to the Turahalli Forest Reserve near Bangalore – US $ 13.50 inclusive of Guide, breakfast, lunch and fruit juices.

The group of 21 identified the different bird, butterfly and camouflaged reptile species, and learnt how to photograph them.

Some interesting take homes from the safari: a) most said the quality of photos depended on the price of the cameras and lenses used; b) it was a one day fun escapade from the humdrum of life and a glimpse into natures beauty, the hills and exotic wildlife; c) learnt 70 to 90 % of wild life photographic skills from the guide Mr. VS. Bayar; d) the group comprised of retirees, professors, techies, doctors, corporate employees and few wild life photogs – aged between 70 & 26.

Unfortunately I missed the event, being tasked to meet a prospective groom for my niece.

2. Shmifyy

Shmifyy Member

Interesting viewpoints:

Only really in so far as pixel level sharpness could be measured I should imagine. The Camera and Lens are merely a tool. As an example, the cheapest, shittiest guitar in the world can be made to sound amazing in the hands of a great guitarist.

What is most likely, is that the guys with the more expensive cameras and lenses were more experienced. Those new to photography most often start with a cheaper camera. As their interest grows, they up the ante and purchase more expensive equipment.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  3. This is one of the few shooting situations where you genuinely need high-end equipment to get the best images. It combines the difficulties of sports photography with extreme conditions, very long distances (this is why they use 400mm and often 600mm lenses) and fast-moving animals that push the limits of autofocus (and the photographer's skill), well beyond what would normally be encountered on, say, a basketball court or soccer field.
    For everyday shooting, your gear doesn't matter much (although it can make the job easier), but for wildlife photography, your gear makes a much bigger difference.

4. nanhi

nanhi Member

Also the inherent dangers from wild life and the need to keep a safe distance, requires the longest possible lens. Pro wildlife photogs have to use the best, the most expensive lenses as it is their bread & butter too. Then it is not always one can afford to keep going to Masai Mara, or Rudyard Kipling's Tiger forests in India. These trips are very expensive, what with all the resources & logistics involved. So one has to have the best gear.
    Regards.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Here in the UK I never considered personal safety as an argument for buying a 600 F4. Thanks for the idea.

6. jamesjick

jamesjick In the Stop Bath

A professional photographer never considered personal safety

7. I agree with jamestic.

8. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

600mm f4 - with one of those I could probably photograph Indian wildlife from my bedroom window!

9. nanhi

nanhi Member

Yep Fishboy Sir, I will send you a poster of a Royal Bengal Tiger my Great Grand shot in a hunt along with King George IV.
    You put up the poster on a nice wall, then use your 600 mm f 4 lens to shoot this Royal Bengal Tiger.

It is looking you straight into your eyes - run.
    And the other one is snarling at you.

Royal Bengal Tiger 1.jpg Royal Bengal Tiger 2.jpg