1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lens upgrade for my Canon EOS 600d.... what would recommend?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Wulfrune, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Wulfrune

Wulfrune Member

I'm looking to add a lens around the 70 - 300 mm bracket for the aforementioned camera, but it's a big wide World out there and I honestly don't know what I should be looking for.

I don't have a great deal of money to spend, but my good wife is considering buying me an upgrade at the right price.

Can any of you good people give me some advice please?

I would be grateful for any input.

Thanks in advance

Wulfrune.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I would start with asking exactly what is it that you want from such a lens.

If your intention is to work at the long end then you are better off getting a prime lens and gaining a stop. If you want the long end "just in case" then that seems a bit silly. On fullframe 70-200 is arguably THE most useful general purpose lens for news. I can't divide by 1.6 at this time of night to give the EFS equivalent

3. Wulfrune

Wulfrune Member

I see PeteRob.... what should I be looking at paying for such an item?

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

AP carries adverts for new and used lenses and the vendors have websites too.

Good lenses are expensive, more than cameras, which is why "upgrading" as a general wish is difficult to advise on. I am sure the merits of the several Canon 70-300 variants have been discussed on the forums in last 12 months - you can use the search tool to find the thread. I do buy lenses every now and again but for a specific need rather than as a collection (though my wife might disagree). it is worthwhile to analyse why you want X in order to make the right choice. e.g do you want a 70-300 zoom because you want 300 ? Why 300 rather than 200 or 400?

When you get down to specific models then post in the lens or Canon(not both)forum for opinion on X as someone will have one and many more will have an opinion.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  5. wave

wave Well-Known Member

what do you take pictures of it will help

6. Stevet

Stevet Well-Known Member

7. Wulfrune

Wulfrune Member

Considering myself as a learning, casual shooter, I just want to add a low cost option to me range.

So, having looked around, I think that the Canon 55-250mm f4-5.6 EF-S IS MK II might be a reasonable option. Whilst it might not offer what the top of the range lens offer in terms of quality, for a starter like me, it might help me cut my teeth in my new found hobby.

If I'm making a bad choice, or if you know of a better one, please feel free to post a reply.

p.s. Here are some of my "efforts" that I'm proud of http://www.flickr.com/photos/wulfrune/

Feel free to offer helpful criticism.

Thanks

8. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

The Canon 55-250mm f4-5.6 EF-S IS MK II is not a bad chose of you want to keep the price down. It is a good range on a APS-C sensor body. The optical quality is preatty good but built quality is all plastic. With th new IS it os realy good value.

9. phinster555

phinster555 Active Member

I own the 55-250 mm Is and I have never had a problem with it the 70-300 non Is lens is awful so don't go for that one although the USM version which is around the £350 mark is the one I would go for if I had a bigger budget at the time, if not you won't go wrong with the 55-250 providing the plastic construction does not bother you.

10. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people recommend it but I had the Canon 70-300 IS USM a few years ago and really didn't rate it. It was about adequate up to around 220mm but nosedived abruptly after that quickly becoming unusable. On the plus side it was light and not too expensive but whats the point in having an affordable lens that is not up to the job?

Save up and get the 70-200 non IS in preference ( £100 more expensive )

Willie

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The 70-300 at 300mm is vastly more usable than the 70-200 f4 L at 300mm...:rolleyes:

Personally, I find 70-200 far too limiting, and I would never say that the 70-300 is "unusable" at 300mm - it's not as good, but entirely usable - assuming your technique is up to it, of course.

12. willie45

I have used lenses of longer focal length and without IS and had excellent results. The 70-300 at 300 just doesn't cut it. Depends what you're happy with, I suppose

Willie

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

You must've had a duff copy, then, because it really isn't as bad as you say. The old 75-300 IS was, for sure.

14. willie45

Possibly so. Mine really wasn't at all good after around 220mm. I eventually got the f4 70-200 IS and although more limited in scope did its job really well. I stuck a 1.4 converter on it from time to time with good results too.

Willie

15. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Just to throw a spanner in the works I really like my Sigma 70-300 APO Macro. So much in fact I bought 2! Very reasonable priced and gives good results. The f6.3 aperture at the long end is a little limiting but if using a tripod or upping the ISO it shouldn't present too many problems.