1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lens Guide - supplement with 6 April 2015 issue

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Congratulations to the Lens Guide team. I learnt a lot, especially about the newer systems on offer.

2. Andy Westlake

Andy Westlake AP Staff

Thanks Malcolm, I'm glad you enjoyed the read.

--
    Andy Westlake
    Technical Editor, Amateur Photographer

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Yes and no complaints; however given that the issue covered today, April 1st, you could have done a spoof of what Cannonikon should have come up with.

4. Andy Westlake

Andy Westlake AP Staff

To be fair, Nikon hasn't done a bad job with its 1 System lens range. Canon, on the other hand, is way behind, and even in danger of being overtaken by Leica T.

5. Derek_R

Derek_R Well-Known Member

Yep, credit where credit's due, the lens guide was very good. In fact, this week's issue was very good all round. Excellent work :) Loved the article on Hengi Joentjoro and the one on selling photos, too (I can but dream).

Cheers
    Derek

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

But the lenses there are are pretty good, and cover most eventualities - the wideangle is really nice, as is the pancake. But as mine is really part of my wider EOS system, I'm less bothered about a wide lens choice than I am with my little Pentax Q, for example, but it's rare I feel I need anything else for it beyond one of the native lenses, to be absolutely honest. A fastish 60mm macro would be nice, as that (and the fisheye zoom) are the only non-native lenses I use that often.

One thing I wasn't quite so keen on in the supplement was the hard sell on 50mm (or 35mm for APS-C) lenses. Yes, they're fast, sharp and cheap, but I'm one of those that finds the focal length really, really restricting and frankly uncomfortable. My 50mm f1.4 is probably my least-used lens, whereas the 40mm pancake gets a lot of use on my full frame DSLR, and the 22mm pancake even more use on the EOS M. Sure, they suit many people, but not sure they're universally useful.