1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lens and filter system help

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by ahron1030, Oct 21, 2017.

1. ahron1030

ahron1030 New Member

Hi all, first post on the forum although have been an avid reader for some time having gleaned many helpful tips from this forum.:)
    I was looking to get peoples opinion on the lee sw150 filter system as I have the Nikon 14-24 and although primarily used for astrophotography I would like to include it more in my landscape shooting as it is a lovely lens to use. my dilemma is I have both the 24-70 and the 70-200 for which I currently use the lee 100 system. I tend to use filters a lot enjoying long exposures. I have been reading up on the sw150 system and its adaptor rings to allow fitment to my other lenses but it seems to be quite a cumbersome system. really just looking for peoples opinions experiences on what they do when faced with this trade off buy in to the sw150 system and sell my 100 system or stick with the 100 and just use the 14-24 for astro? I do not shoot professionally but do try to take pride in my shots. any help for my sanity would be greatly appreciated ;)

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

150 is a lot more useful BUT also a lot bulkier. Only you can decide whether the trade-off is worth it.

A second-hand 100 system is worth next to nothing so why not keep it AND buy the 150?

Cheers,

R.

3. ahron1030

ahron1030 New Member

thanks for the reply Roger I had near enough made up my mind to purchase the 150 system and adaptor rings to use on all three of my lenses but have came across a number of reviews with light leakage problems when using the stopper range, its made me a bit concerned as the big stopper is never off my camera, any thoughts on light leakage with the mkii holder ?

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Depends. If the filter holder is backlit, there might be a problem (but probably wouldn't be). A bit of black velvet, or even a hand, draped across the lens + filter, would solve the problem. See also http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subscription/skeletonize.html

Cheers,

R.