1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leica V-Lux4 v Lumix FZ200

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Kettering_Jeremy, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Kettering_Jeremy

Kettering_Jeremy Well-Known Member

Leica V-Lux4 v Lumix FZ200

Hi,

I can see no material difference between these two cameras. Maybe the odd item of finish but nothing that translates into different performance.

The Leica comes with Photoshop Lightroom 4, wheras the Lumix doesn't (but I've got Lightroom 4 anyway).

I also understand that Leica have tweaked the image processing firmware. However, if I shoot in RAW there won't be any difference, will there?

The bottom line I guess is, apart from some slight cosmetic differences, Lightroom 4 and some tweks to the image processing, what else could possibly justify the difference in price £390 (with £50 cashback) v £690?

Is the little red dot really that valuable?

Does anyone have any experience of the direct comparison of any other Lumix/Leica clones?

2. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

There have been lots of similar letters in AP about these so called Leicasonics. Apparently Leica claimed at one time that the firmware in the Leica version was of their own creation but who can verify this. Outsourcing camera production has been going on with Leica since at least the days of the Minolta built Leica CL. I think the truth is there is a population of people who couldn't hold their heads up without a red spot on the front of their cameras - Leica know it and cash in on it.

3. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I recall that AP did a comparative review of the Panny FZ50 and Leica badged version a few years ago and did find there were differences in the JPEG processing - I think the Leica version was more muted and natural at the default settings.

However, if you're shooting raw and you've already got Lightroom, the FZ200 will be far better value for you.

4. jamieboy32

jamieboy32 New Member

Most of them closely associated with a very similar Panasonic model with relatively minor cosmetic changes i.e. body materials (Leica’s are aluminium/titanium) different dials/switches, but the bigger differences are in the firmware/software (Leica’s include various Adobe® Photoshop®/Lightroom® software) and then we come to the lenses! I found information about the Japanese made Leica lenses how these lenses take 40 minutes for each element to be individually ground, polished and tested then the 1 to 4 coatings are added on Leica made imported machines to very tight tolerances, whereas the Panasonic models use mass production techniques on their own machines to tolerances specified by Leica but with their own coatings including the own brand Panasonic Black Box Nano surface coating, parts and picture processing firmware (Panny uses its own Venus engine) for both have large differences as do the CCD qualities and manufacturing tolerances the CCD's are made by different manufacturers the ones for the Leica brand are all tested, differences in lens quality and coatings and firmware make the better colours and less aberrations @ wide apertures. Finally we have the “Red dot” and better 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] hand resale values.

5. Kettering_Jeremy

Kettering_Jeremy Well-Known Member

Well thank you Mr Leica, that is really helpful.

6. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

How come magazine camera testers don't know all this - then they would stop telling people they were identical except for the firmware and a plastic red dot - or is the red dot aircraft grade titanium polished on the thigh of a celebrity virgin ? :D

7. jamieboy32

jamieboy32 New Member

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Why a “Leica” people would ask as now there are manysimilar cameras on the market, Leica cameras produce a “special” “Leica look”to images, very high optical quality, sure one can buy a Steinway or anelectronic keyboard, both have 88 keys, 56 white, 32 black, one isn't wrong andthe other right, they both do the same basic job but usually the more expensive oneis “special”, collectable or outstanding[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Leica give a full unlimited 2 year guarantee AND 1 year accidental damage cover (called The Leica Passport) as against the 1 year (Conditional) Panasonic guarantee.[/FONT]
    The Leica comes with the professional still picture and video processing software Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 4 (worth £150).
    Then finally higher resale value

So there you have it identical apart from a "red badge" !!!! and street cred!

You can always tell a Leica, by the way it takes pictures - and by the pictures it takes.

I see said the blind man but he could not see at all!

8. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

Very informative thread, thanx

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I have a funny feeling of deja vue about this text. I am sure I have seen it (or parts of it) before somewhere.

10. sparx

sparx New Member

Similar text here in this blog:

http://marty4650.blogspot.com/2011/05/leica-introduces-another-rebadged.html

You can find similar or duplicate posts and its origin by simple copying the quote and send it to google sesrch. If its been on the internet before, google can find it.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  11. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Where do they get the celebrity virgins? I'd have thought that it was easier to get hold of finely powdered rocking horse excrement on a regular basis.

Cheers,

R.

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

each to his own