1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leica debuts 'entry-level' full-frame compact rangefinder camera

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Sep 17, 2012.

1. CSBC

CSBC RIP (News Editor)

2. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

Re: Leica debuts 'entry-level' full-frame compact rangefinder ca

I would love one but
    that would be a M2 and £3.3k of film and processing. :)

3. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

A 'budget' Leica!
    Still a bloomin' big budget!

4. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

5. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

....Leica said the M-E ‚'makes an ideal entry-level model....

Leica need to get into the real world. No matter what name is on the front it is a camera.

In my world three thousand nine hundred quid I may consider entry level for a NASA moon rocket, but for a camera it is not.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's entry level to the world of full frame Leica digital models, and follows the tradition of the R-E several years ago.

7. P_Stoddart

I think they mean 'entry level' to the exclusive Leica VIP club. :p

Am I going to upset some on here if I say that Leica are good cameras but mainly they are bling. :D

You are paying for the badge and saying to the world "hey I have more money than I need"

Do they really take better images than say a Nikon or Canon?

8. nailbrush

nailbrush Well-Known Member

Do people who drive BMW's drive better than people in Fords?

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

OK, then, what's your experience of using Leicas? I don't mean rebadged Panasonics, I mean the real rangefinder Leicas? And how many Leica photographers do you know?

For the photographers that use them, yes, they do. What you have to understand is that using a rangefinder is a different experience to using an SLR, and that it simplifies shooting for many people and allows them to forget about the camera, and just shoot. Every style of camera brings its own advantages and disadvantages - it's not at all the same shooting with a compact or a DSLR, a large format camera or a TLR. CSCs are a bit of a crossover area, but still there's nothing quite like rangefinder shooting, be it with the cheapest old FED or the swankiest Leica. Thing is, though, that if you want a new digital rangefinder, there's simply no choice - it's Leica or nothing, so if that's the style of shooting that suits you, you either have to fork out or make do with something else. Once you get over the camera body issue, there are the lenses. They are very, very dear, but very, very good; above all, they're exceptionally good wide open - almost all are designed to be used wide open, and benefit little from stopping down. Again, for some people, that suits their style and makes Leicas better than Nikons or Canons. Personally, I love shooting on Leicas but generally prefer DSLRs, and there's no way I could justify the cost of a digital M, but the photographers I've known who use Leicas use them because that's what best suits them, not for the bling reason - in all honesty, that's generally the sort of remark made by the jealous. :rolleyes:

10. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

On top of the price the specification is very modest, 2.5 inch LCD with only 230,000 dots.:(

11. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

I doubt that many Leica enthusiasts see the cameras as 'bling' (I hate that word).

I bought a M9-P late last year, partly financed by selling other stuff. I certainly don't want people to think I'm using an expensive camera, and one of the advantages is that most people have never heard of Leica and think it's an old, pretty ordinary camera that I'm using.

If anything, it's some DSLR owners who use them as bling, strutting around with huge zoom lenses! I also use DSLRs, but try to be discrete with those, too.

Anyway, the M-E is cheaper than the M9. And I'm surprised that the new M is priced at less than the M9-P. Almost wish I'd waited ... ;)

12. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

No, though they seem to have been overtaken (if you'll excuse the unintentional pun) by Audi drivers in the rubbish driver stakes. Now, what manufacturer makes the camera equivalent of an Audi?

13. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

It does not seem stupid money for a high quality FF camera. I am at least a little interested - although I doubt I will take it as far as actually buying one

Roger

14. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

Ignoring the bling argument for a moment and forgetting that some Leicas will never actually be used...

If you want a digital rangefinder your choices are limited. ASAIK there have only been two manufacturers to produce them (someone will correct me if I'm wrong,) the original Epson (and I say original to remind Leica lovers that Epson were the first to make a digital RF and so annoy them) and Leica.

As the Epson is no longer made if you insist on buying a brand new digital RF your one stop shop is Leica.

Personally I have owned RF's but sold them when the GF1 came out and personally I'd rather have a Fuji or Nex 6/7 or any CSC with a VF than a Leica.

15. P_Stoddart

Fame, eh? You been quote in the latest news. :D

16. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Some people have reached the time in life when NOT spending money seems a bit like giving 40% of it to the tax man

Roger

17. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

M-E, eh?

Many years ago, Olympus were about to launch their new M-series SLRs, with the M1, a small and light manual only model. Quite a few had already been produced when Leica got wind of this and demanded the name be changed to avoid confusion with their own M-series rangefinder models. Hence what we now remember as the OM series. The cameras already made prior to the name change apparantly sell for a fortune - which just goes to prove how easily a fool and their money can be separated.

Can we now expect Pentax's legal team to demand a similar change from Leica?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  18. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

...and doesn't it look a 'Super' camera.....
    I had one of those Olympus 'M' cameras - sold it at a boot fair as it wasn't a proper OM....... ***joke***

19. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

To misquote Arther Dent:

This is obviously some strange use of the phrase "entry-level" that I wasn't previously aware of.

20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It makes my tongue in cheek description of the Nikon D600 as entry level seem almost reasonable.