1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leica Advice

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by F1Luke, Mar 9, 2012.

1. F1Luke

F1Luke Member

I am considering buying a Leica camera, as an alternative to my Canon DSLR for when I am travelling around - sometimes I would rather be without a heavy camera bag.

My initial thought was to get a Leica X1 - they look great, and have APS-C sensors which is the same size as in my DSLR, so the image quality would still be good. What are people's opinions on that? I am not too tempted to get one of their rebadged Panasonic cameras - I could buy one from Panasonic for far less, but I do not like them that much.

I generally do street shooting, and landscape shooting, and I would be fine with the non-interchangeable 24mm lens on the X1 (36mm equivalent). The high cost of the X1 is making me reluctant to go out and buy one, but it is a very nice camera.

Just wondering what your opinions are really for a good quality light camera to carry around instead of my DSLR.
  2. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

consider the fuji x100 too.
  3. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

What about the Canon G1X. :)

That's got abit of zoom as well just in case. But a nice 1.85x crop sensor.

So pretty good in low light.

Found this with some sample images

4. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

Sony NEX-7 and Samsung NX200 both have aps-c sensors too.
  5. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

You should certainly look at and handle the cameras referred to above.
  6. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

The samsung has no viewfinder if this is not a problem take a look at the NEX-C3 and NEX-5N too, they also have aps-c sensors and are around £500 and under.
  7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Consider one of the Pen P series. Nick has just published a review and I like mine. You might want to consider another lens as well as the "standard" 17mm pancake.

8. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

I'd love a Leica :)
  9. F1Luke

F1Luke Member

Thank you so much for the suggestions - much appreciated! I shall have a look at some of the other cameras that people have suggested - I'll check the reviews and I might get round to trying some this weekend.

Not having the viewfinder is not really a problem for me, because it is only going to be a second camera for me - I am still going to keep my DSLR for more serious work.

So you think that the Leica X1 is too expensive for what you get?
  10. F1Luke

F1Luke Member

That would be my second choice over a Leica X1 I think, but probably a more sensible one because you can get an E-P1 with some lenses for much less than an X1. The X1 is a really nice camera, though. Shame the price tag is so high but I suppose it's Leica - normal for them.
  11. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

The X1's a nice camera, and arguably all Leicas are too expensive for what you get!

But it is a Leica, and at least looks different from most of the similar cameras that are out there.

From what I can remember, it got good reviews for image quality, although not particularly for speed of use and overall handling.

The Fuji X100 and X10 are more like a 'real' Leica rangefinder, at least in appearance.

If you can find somewhere that stocks all of these and the other suggestions, you'll be luck - sorry, that would be ideal!
  12. F1Luke

F1Luke Member

Agreed - it's unlikely that I'll find them all in the same place but I'll try what I can. Nowhere near me sells an X1 unfortunately - it'll be a trip to London I think.

Build quality and image quality from the X1 are definitely big plus points, but as you say, it's not that fast when you're using it, so moving subjects can be a problem, although I will probably spend more time shooting static subjects, such as buildings.

Plenty to think about! I can live without things such as a viewfinder - I have a DSLR which I will still keep.
  13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I personally cannot think of any good reason to buy a Leica X1 over a Fuji X100.
  14. F1Luke

F1Luke Member

The images are better from the X1 (not massively different, but there is a difference)...at least from what I have seen from online reviews. Not sure if it is worth the extra money, which is largely for the red dot! How much are the X100s typically going for now?
  15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

16. F1Luke

F1Luke Member

Under £700? Wow that's half of the Leica price for very similar image quality! I think that I will try out an X100 when I next come across a store which has one. I'll see how it feels to use it.
  17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Certainly give it a try. I have used one and it was painful having to return it to its owner. A lot of fun to use and the ergonomics really work for me. The viewfinder is a great bit of tech and much more useful than I'd anticipated.
  18. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

I can't do without a viewfinder.

The X1 with accessory finder is now only £1389 at Dale Photographic! And you get a case!
  19. F1Luke

F1Luke Member

I'll see - I suppose it'll feel a little odd using a camera which doesn't have a viewfinder. I've been using a DSLR for a while now so I'm used to it. I am going to see how the X100 is to use first, because it is quite a bit cheaper than the X1, and has similar quality images. I do love the look of the Leica, but it comes at quite a cost. Trying the X100 should help me decide.
  20. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

If you have always lusted after a leica and you really want it get that. You will only be thinking what if, if you buy anything else.