1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaving the Rock

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Jack D3200, May 18, 2019.

1. Jack D3200

Jack D3200 Well-Known Member

Two shots of the Bass Rock in East Lothian. Leaving the Rock 3.jpg

Attached Files:

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

One shot!

I guess it is the white one. Seems a bit lost if it is the main subject. Interesting landscape which seems at odds with the title for those who know not of it - like me.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

It looks like you had a grad on the sky, which didn't reach far enough to help with the exposure on the rock itself. All it is done is make the top artificially dark for no apparent reason.

But it is a very general shot at a not ideal time of day. Not sure where focus is, but it doesn't look critically sharp to me.

Best shot for me would be take the top half off and make it a pano. That utilises the sweeping curve far more.

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

From North Berwick? Been decades since I've been and got some action shoots to do there soon so nice to see what the place looks like again.

5. Jack D3200

Thanks for the comments. How is this version? Leaving the Rock B&W.jpg

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I'm surprised you can see Gib from Scotland.

Catriona likes this.
  7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It's too tight at the top and a bit murky. You've added a heavier grad. and it doesn't look realistic.

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I did not know that Bass Rock was really a beached iceberg.

9. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

Gannets and poop ! :)

10. RovingMike

Yes a bit m,ore headroom needed for the rock and that grad is way too heavy. You are not going to disguise the fact this is middle of the day, with sun way too high for the effect you need.

11. Jack D3200

It was not taken at the middle of the day, it was taken at 18.26. The sun was almost directly behind me and the sky was darker than I would have expected. The Bass Rock was illuminated like a beacon, largely due , I guess, to the quantity of guano deposited there over centuries by thousands of gannets.
    I have not managed to represent what I saw, the rock looks duller than it was at the time. If the picture is enlarged there is a whiteish cloud around the rock, this is a flock of gannets.

12. Jack D3200

I think it is generally accepted that us Scots are more far sighted than our southern neighbours.

dream_police likes this.
  13. Jack D3200

This is perhaps nearer to what I saw, but the rock is still not as bright as when I saw it. Any increase in exposure or highlights causes blocking. Leaving the Rock jpg.jpg

14. RovingMike

The brightness issue is really a contrast issue. To show how bright it was, you really need to show how bright everything else wasn't. If you sort the levels and then put a limit on the tgrey point, you can avoid burnout.

With white things, you need to expose for the highlights.

[​IMG]

15. Jack D3200

Thanks Mike, that is useful.
    You are an early bird. 5.52!

16. RovingMike

Yes I rarely sleep past 05.30. Working from home most days, I'm in the office by 6am. But I do bunk off later for a few hours when I want to :)