1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD screen

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by roy47, May 16, 2018.

1. roy47

roy47 Member

I have a Sony RX10 Mk 3 with the LCD Screen showing signs of delamination round the edges. Yesterday I drove 50 miles to WEX in Norwich to ask them to arrange repair as they supplied the camera and it is still in warranty. They took one look at the camera and told me I was wasting my time as Sony will not repair it as it does not affect the functioning of the camera. They told me it is a common problem with Sony cameras. On returning home I went on line and sure enough there are thousands of reports of this problem. There is even a Utube video showing me how to repair it myself. One reviewer said it was a waste of time sending it to Sony as, even if they did repair it, in a few months I would have the same problem! I am 70 years old and do not feel confident to fix it myself. Does anyone out there know of a company that could do this for me and would I have a chance of recovering the cost from Sony.
    Also, why hasn't the photographic press (AP) pointed out this problem when reviewing the products.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

If you have owned the camera for under 6 months it looks like a straight case that Wex needs to fix, replace or refund as they've already admited it is an inherent problem as defined by the Consumer Rights Act (see this page) If over 6 months they are still liable unless they can show they were lying and it isn't an inherent problem but there are more grey areas as to what happens.

3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Product not fit for purpose (assuming you haven't abused it) - demand a repair or a replacement. If obsolete, ask for the current equivalent model. Since it's under guarantee, Sony's policy about repair is WEX's problem, not yours.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'll have a closer look at my wife's. I noticed it looked rather ragged the other day but assumed it had shipped with a protective film that was wearing at the edges. I thought LCD screens were pretty indestructable. Certainly I've never done anything to protect the LCDs on my Canons and not noticed much in the way of damage. They get carried over my shoulder scraping away at zip pockets etc.

Just had a look. Seems to have had a blue anti-reflective patch over the LCD which is now worn and scratched all over but around the edges where it has worn completely away the actual LCD looks good underneath.

Last edited: May 16, 2018