1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest Windows 10 update - Edge browser and shutdown issues

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by IvorETower, Jul 25, 2017.

1. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Since the most recent big update to Windows 10, my PC is barely usable.
    Edge occasionally will not run at all (nothing happens when I click its icon on the taskbar or from the Start menu); when it does occasionally respond, the icon on the toolbar is flashing away and the shadow effect on the browser window itself is also flashing.
    When I go to shutdown, the 3 options only flash up for a fraction of a second (shutdown, restart or sleep) and it's a race to try to mouseclick in time to select one of them.

The PC is an old HP desktop (about 2009 IIRC) that originally ran Vista, then Win 7 and then Win10 perfectly OK until the last update. 3GB RAM, 2.2GHz processor, plenty of free hard drive space.

Any suggestions on how to fix?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

When was this? I haven't turned mine on today but usually updates are earlier in the month.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It certainly was a big update, I can't say that I have experienced anything out of the ordinary, except that it deleted the browsing history from Edge.

4. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

I've not had a big update to Win10, just the normal monthly updates, the last one being on the 12 Jul.

The last big update was the Creators version (version 1703), which has been rolling out since April.

Can you check which version you are running?

(pressing the windows key and the 'R' key, will bring up the run command; type 'winver' , click ok and it will show you the version and build.)

5. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Yet again I'm glad I run Win 7 pro 64 SP1 now with updates completely disabled; reinstalled from disc after an update caused a crash a few months ago. It does all I need, why change?

6. PeteRob

because the updates roll out security fixes

AlanW likes this.
  7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

...lack of support/updates for older software.
    ...lack of drivers etc for new kit.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The laptop I've been using for my business consultancy work has been running very slowly for months. It ran the update on Monday (somewhat to my surprise), and now works properly.
    As one of my tasks is to maintain 6 machines for that environment and another 5 at home, I've found Win 10 to be a godsend, as beyond that machine running slowly, there have been no problems on the last year. The client's machine on Win 8 I'm currently having to use, though...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Because if you use that machine to do anything at all on the Internet, then you should expect it to be open to compromise very easily.

10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

And before anyone says 'I don't browse any dodgy sites' - remember this.

https://arstechnica.com/security/20...of-malicious-ads-spreading-crypto-ransomware/

Perfectly legitimate web sites (including the New York Times) were used to display malicious adverts, which automatically infected machines that visited them, if they weren't patched to an appropriate level. No one had to click on anything, or run anything, or look at anything dodgy. They just read the news, got infected.

11. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

1703, the Creators version..... we have IT support at work one day a month from an external provider. Our man was in earlier this week and I asked him; I'm not alone, he has seen both these issues I am experiencing, plus a few others. Seems that the Creators edition is full of bugs and could not have been properly tested before release - advice is to avoid installing it, and for me to roll back to the previous version if it will let me !

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I would sack the idiot if I were you. ;)

13. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

I'm on 1703 and have not had any problems; not much help I know!

Few windows PCs have the same configuration. I've had problems with 3rd party drivers at times on Win10; my graphics drivers gave me some issues a last year, so I reverted back, and waited for Nvidia to issue an update that was more stable on my system.

Although Edge is my default browser, I don't particularly like it and have Chrome installed as an alternative, for the sites that are not Edge friendly

For the shut down, ctrl-alt-del, brings up a screen with a power-down button in the bottom right, not ideal, but maybe a temporary workaround.

If your previous Windows build was stable and it lets you roll back then that might be the best option, for now.

14. PeteRob

I finally got round to turn on my Windows 10 laptop and there were no new updates for July - the last one was the Creators version - which struck while we were away from home - how it downloaded when I was using a personal wifi connection I don't know. We were on the edge of reception - my phone doesn't get a signal but the wifi box will just about hold a 3G (1 bar strength) signal giving something rather less impressive than a high contention ADSL connection. I had no problems with the new Windows version in two weeks of use, back now on 8.1 for my desktop.

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have a Windows 10 tablet to run a couple of programs that are only available for Windows and for which there are no alternatives. My only complaint with Windows updating is that programs are not automatically relaunched when the system is restarted which means that I have to go find what I was working on previously.

As this is all I use Windows for I have no idea about any of the other issues mentioned.

16. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

One of the nicer updated features of Win 10 is the night-light setting. Utterly useless for photo editing, it decreases the blue light so it doesn't affect sleep patterns so much.
    I do a fair bit of CAD, so the colour isn't so important. It is easy to switch it on and off, so if I do some photo editing, it is easy enough to get back the correct settings. Sadly I don't do so much photo editing any more, so my lovely Panasonic 30 inch coloursync monitor is redundant....Anyone want to buy a monitor?:D

17. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:It seems my brain wasn't functioning correctly. Nothing unusual there. My NEC monitor is now redundant:oops: