1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest AP

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by JMACNALLY, Feb 15, 2001.

1. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

Just received this weeks' copy and think this must be one of the best. Despite the little moan elsewhere regarding the film (it is FREE!) inside couldn't be better. The competition prizes are really worth trying for, plus the usual generous helpings of tests and portfolios etc. Must go now and spend another hour with it.

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Agree totally there big J. Great stuff inside as always (crawler.. you still don't get a free film. Doug Harman). The news of the new Nikon was both surprising and very welcome. The best feature of this camera must be it's capability to function even when the batteries are dead. A mechanical shutter is indeed a rarity in a camera nowadays and all the more welcome for it. If I had better eyesight I would be sorely tempted to buy this camera myself such is it's spec. Full credit to Nikon for standing alone in supporting the manual focus enthusiast! By the way, did anyone spot the deliberate mistake, typo, in the article? "the FM2 every day and the FE2 for when the batteries were likely to fail". Arse about face methinks, but then nobody likes a smarteypants!
    I perked up when I saw the article on the new MF film scanner from Polaroid but my euphoria soon turned to despair when I clocked the price of the thing! Is it too much to ask for someone to produce a MF film scanner for the amateur market at an amateur price!
    Big(crestfallen)Will

3. David Stout

David Stout Well-Known Member

Do you think there will ever be a time when AP will stick a free CompactFlash memory card on the front cover instead of a film? Not next year but, say, in 5 or 10 year's time. At least it will sit easier on the cover than a roll of film (hint, hint...).

David Stout
    (http://image-one.org.uk)

4. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Dunno bout that David (Sound of GCW fainting to the ground clutching his wallet...The expense! The expense!) but if they do, I hope they don't use the same adhesive they used to stick on the roll of Delta 400. That stuff could be used to hold the tiles onto the space shuttle! (Completely destroyed the front cover of AP trying to get it off...like Woody...no patience!)
    Big(Jack the Ripper)Will

5. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

Buy another copy Will, and leave the film on, think of its collector value in 10 years' time!

6. David Stout

David Stout Well-Known Member

I did say 5 to 10 years when a 16 Mbyte card will cost the same as a roll of film (film prices might go up as sales drop and digital storage prices fall as more gets manufactured - there might be a cross-over point somewhere).

Then again, the resolution of digital cameras and storage sizes might be so much larger that nobody will want a 16 Mbyte card anyway.

Just think that you can get a digital camera the size of a highlighter pen for £69 rigth now (low res and no good for photography). Digital memory is already being built into phone cards, credit cards and the like. Digital imaging is getting cheaper all the time and turning up in unexpected places. Didn't Casio or somebody announce a watch with a built-camera?

No doubt the marketing guys will find something to stick on the front cover when we are all overtaken by the digital age. Maybe a sample of the latest writeable DVD (CD-RW will be replaced by DVD in a few years time).

No, come to think of it, we'll still need lens cleaning brushes and maybe AP will stick to those. They might even have developed some better glue to attach it to the front cover by then!

David Stout
    (http://image-one.org.uk)

7. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

I can foresee the day when AP stick a CD on the cover for the digital users, every other mag seems to do it!

8. phil

phil Well-Known Member

I too destroyed Morgan Freeman's portrait trying to get at the film. But my daugter thought the pastic box made a nice toy to put pennies in!

Phil

9. NeilB

NeilB Active Member

Been there,done that.
    Kodak picture CD demo on the 28 August 2000 issue.

Neil.

10. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

Quite right, I forgot about that one!