1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LandscapePro, what's it like?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Louise, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

2. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I`d not heard of that software before.
    Since it offers a free trial why not download it and try it out for yourself.
    If at the end of the trial you don`t get on with it,there`s no obligation to buy.

Louise likes this.
  3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Louise

If it's anything like PortraitPro (which comes from the same stable, and which I had to buy for a project I was doing), it's basically blandifying software, designed to remove all possible traces of uniqueness from both the subject matter and the photographer's eye.

Cheers,

R.

4. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

So not very good then?

5. Roger Hicks

Well, by all means try it. But make sure that if you don't like it, you say so before they can charge you for it.

Cheers,

R.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

'cor. if it is based on Portraitpro maybe it has a filter that removes sheep droppings and one that makes rock faces less craggy?

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. Roger Hicks

Excellent, if you like everything bland, generic and tied to focus groups. PortraitPro is the New Labour of photography.

Cheers,

R.

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Roger,
    isn't focus very important to photographers.... that's why it's a labour of love....
    Coat already on and door wide open...

9. Roger Hicks

Dear David,

But you can only get reliable focus on one subject at a time, unless you're photographing something absolutely flat and (usually) lifeless... New Labour again!

Cheers,

R.

spinno likes this.
  10. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

11. Roger Hicks

It's a bugger with live subjects. Might work with New Labour, though.

Cheers,

R.

12. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

LandscapePro isn't really much like PortraitPro although, as Roger has said, it is from the same software house.

Apart from swapping skies, etc., it doesn't really do anything that a skilled operator could not do in Lightroom and even the swapping of skies could be done by a skilled operator in Photoshop.

But, if "enhancing" landscapes is what you want to do and you do not want to spend the money/time on becoming a skilled operator in Lightroom or Photoshop, then this package does take the hard work out of the post-exposure processing.

I had to get the package to evaluate it, especially with a view to ascertaining whether its use could disqualify entrants in photographic competitions (the answer is that those processes that use third party images - such as their stock of sky pre-sets - would disqualify in competitions where the rules state that all components of the finished image must be the work of the entrant).

If the software does appeal to you, I would recommend getting the "studio" edition (i.e. the more expensive) as it will work directly with raw files. I would also suggest using it as a plug-in to Lightroom, rather than as a stand-alone package.

Like so much in our hobby, it is "horses for courses", "different strokes for different folks" or any number of other such clich├ęs. As I said about it on the RPS website, it does allow you to get a dawn light photograph of the peaks of the Cairngorms without spending the night up a mountain in a tent!!

13. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

OK that's gone out the window. Instead of starting a new thread about photo enhancing software, a friend has suggested a programme called Nik Efex. Can anyone recommend that please?

14. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I find the Google Nik collection really useful - and it's free! Give it a try and see what you think!

Cheers, Jeff

15. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

OK where do I get it from please? Can I also use them on their own?

16. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Well I've downloaded Nik Efex, but It's not showing in my programmes only in my downloads folder. How do I access it please?

17. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Run the file that is in your download folder. That should install the Nik programs and automatically tie them into your Lightroom and/or Photoshop. The ones that I find most useful are SilverEfexPro, ColorEfexPro and HDREfexPro (the latter less often nowadays). Normally I use them from within Lightroom but, with ColorEfexPro, I find it more useful to run it as a layer In Photoshop as I almost always "overcook" in it and I can then reduce the opacity of the layer.

18. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Can I run it on it's own? I don't have light room or photoshop?

19. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Have got the free version, if I like this where can I but it please?

20. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Nik software is free as far as i'm aware, no need to buy it anymore.