1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LANDSCAPE PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by BOB-R, Oct 17, 2017.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

There will be, after that! The figure makes the shot so there may be also be foot prints on the bridge by now.

The wider view is a bit scrappy and the shot is necessarily taken into the light so the sky tends to blow out. Putting the figure there with the brolly is a wonderful use of the setting. When we were there last February the wind coming down the valley was so strong it was hard to hold a camera still.

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I think there probably are given that similar shots appeared in this week's coverage of the impending storm in at least two different tabloid papers

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I genuinely don't understand... in what way is the winning image of the landscape competition not a landscape? Are we all looking at the same pictures?

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

There are perhaps two whose definition of landscape is stretching the boundaries a little, but even so, I like them. There may be a couple I don't like, but that's just me. The rest would all be worthy of winning.

Does anyone else think "Dalt Quarry" is reminiscent of a Pollock? Excellent stuff, though I don't like Pollock!

What I find depressing is that no matter how much care I take, how critical I can be of the scene in front, I never get a picture that is anything near as good as all of these.

Oh well, back to the shutter button and plod on.

S

5. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

No complaints about any of them from me. My favourites are David Hopley's drone photographs - as a general rule a lot of drone photography leaves me cold, but his work really impresses me.

Cheers, Jeff

6. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

It puts me in mind of some impressionist paintings.

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I didn't know that Mike Yarwood was a painter.....
    Coat on!

beatnik69 likes this.
  8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Agree that there are several I wouldn't call landscape and Dalt Quarry is certainly one. But just how much care do you (or any of us) take? Do you visit it a dozen times in all lights, sit there for hours, do a recce shoot, delete everything and do it again?

9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I'm not complaining, it was one of my favourites! I was just asking if it reminded anyone else of a JP.

S

Catriona likes this.
  10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I guess it does have Pollock attributes. Not quite as frantic though! ;)

steveandthedogs likes this.
  11. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

The brief was very wide for that category- Pretty much anything goes, as long as it is in the UK and of the outdoors.

12. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I went last July 2016 and there was not even a trickle. Great drive around reservoirs however.