1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LANDSCAPE PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by BOB-R, Oct 17, 2017.

1. BOB-R

BOB-R Member

Having just viewed the winning image for this year's LPOTY, I'm left wondering if, after more than nearly 60 years of trying to capture decent landscape images, I'm left wondering if I haven't completely lost the plot? I know that all genres of photography can be controversial, but to me a great landscape photo should at least be one that can stand the test of hanging from your living room wall, giving you, your family and friends endless pleasure.

I fully accept that we are all entitled to different tastes and interests, but I do feel that when £10,000 is awarded for this year's image of Wittering Sands, the judges are now going down the same pretentious road as those selecting images for Tate Modern etc. I know that there will be a hardcore of readers who will disagree with me, but if I'd taken that image I would have almost certainly deleted it before the card left the camera. I suppose that having an attitude like this goes a long way to explaining why I've never won LPOTY.

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I think you're mixing two separate things together.

What wins, has no bearing on your ability or skill. Your ability or skill is independent of what judges choose to win a competition.

Popular appeal is also only one measure of whether something is prize worthy.

And lastly, regardless of whether you enjoy the image or not, it doesn't in fact, say anything about the judges being pretentious.

You've decided, despite some of your words, that you dislike the image and hence it should not have won, and consequently, the only reason anyone could have chosen it is for pretentious reasons. Maybe, the judges just really liked it.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Art "judges" are just plain folks no matter how much they are hyped. Their opinion is worth exactly the same as that of anyone else. The real problem is that there's always a few who are mesmerised by the hype and can't see that.

4. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Fine art springs to mind.......nothing surprises me these days, but you do have to be in it to win it!

5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I'm absolutely failing to see the problem with this image.

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

You mean Benjamin Graham's? It's superb. Would adorn any wall.

Geren and Catriona like this.
  7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Zou, Craig20264 and Geren like this.
  8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Unusually for me I quite like an image that has won a national competition.
    Has my assimilation been completed and was all that resistance futile;)

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Just sit quietly and we'll soon have all those nano-art-bots out of you. There were several of the "runners up" I'd have voted for in preference to the winners.

spinno likes this.
  10. IvorCamera

When a final selection is made from the top of the pile some of them could easily have won, this is where you need that little bit of luck. So congratulations to the winner.

11. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

The question you need to ask yourself is, could you have spotted it, and captured it? If so, why didn't you? It's a winner for me.

Catriona likes this.
  12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I have used both of these as landscapes. The first, entered to APoY back in 2012, I think!
    The second is in as a landscape in this month's RPS 365 monthly competition.

The first got sweet nowhere in APoY
    The second won't either, but I'm a stubborn old lady. Ha!
    sandlandscape 1 ap.jpg all an illusion ap.jpg

Craig20264, Zou and IvorCamera like this.
  13. IvorCamera

Just getting a mention is an honour, winning it is a bonus! but hark who's talking I have not entered any work at all this year, I am still a bit miffed at APOY going to Photocrowd, I always entered but not any more.....

wozza and Catriona like this.
  14. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Amazing - he managed to get a picture of Wittering without the usual hordes of tourists....:D

Can't say I've ever seen a dune like that at Wittering but they do shift around a lot.

15. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Looking at the winning images on the 'Take a View' website, there are some cracking images.
    All personal choice of course, but I agree with the opening post, in my humble view the outright winner isn't one of them.
    However as has been said. You have to be in it to win it, so congratulations to Benjamin Graham.

https://www.take-a-view.co.uk/2017-award-winners/

16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I love this one

Adult Living the view - Winner
    Paul Fowles - Alone against the torrent, Elan Valley, Mid Wales

RovingMike likes this.
  17. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

And I recall that the winner of the recent Garden Photography competition wasn't taken in a garden... Both are pictures I would be very happy to have taken myself, but that doesn't mean I understand, given the titles of the competitions, how they could have been eligible.

18. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

What else could the winner have been but a landscape? It is one.

19. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Me too. It is the lowest dam and appears taken from just behind the visitor centre. It is very well taken.

The valley is awesome when the reservoirs are full and spill ways are running.

20. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Are there tripod holes already there?

Catriona likes this.