1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lake District

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Grierson, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

We're off to the lakes for a few days soon. When there I've always looked out for a landing stage to get the cliché shot but never found one. They all seem to be newly built or broken down. Does anyone recommend a good location?

2. ianwaite

ianwaite Well-Known Member

Coniston has one, it's officially closed to general public but if you ask nicely in the cafe they have let me use it.

Ian

3. Grierson

Thanks Ian.

4. ianwaite

There are a couple at ambleside but there is always tourists in the way.

Ian

5. Grierson

Thanks, these bl***y tourists just get in the way. :)

6. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

There's at least one around Portinscale on Derwentwater somewhere that was neither new nor broken down but pleasingly aged when I saw it last... but I'm pretty vague about where it is, so you'd have to hunt. Not very helpful!

Adrian

7. Grierson

Thanks, I'll look out for it. - John

8. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

There are several around derwent water Ashness jetty is popular due to being easy access.

9. Grierson

Again, many thanks. I'll add it to the list.

10. Alphonso

Alphonso Well-Known Member

Look no further There are two super landing stages at NICHOL END MARINA. This is situated at Portinscale .These jetty's are on Lake Derwent water .
    Have fun
    Alphonso

11. Grierson

Thanks, we have just got to our hotel on Ullswater. I'll have a ride round tomorrow. :)

12. Alphonso

Alphonso Well-Known Member

I said there were two landing stages at Nichol End, this is not quite true because the other landing stage is in the grounds of the H.F Holiday house which is in the next garden . Access from Nichol End is easy as there is gate into the garden . With views of Skiddaw etc.
    Alphonso.

13. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

Is it really Ian? I've only ever been there twice but I never realised it was private!

14. ianwaite

Yes it has a locked gate stating so, I have gone over the gate early in the morning to get moody misty shots now and again

[​IMG]

Ian

15. msfoto

msfoto Member

There's a old jetty on Derwentwater just off the road, about 2 miles from Keswick. its where the ferry stops. looks great at sunrise/sunset with the right weather

16. Grierson

Thanks. We'll look out for it later in the year.

17. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

That will be Ashness jetty see post earlier in thread

If you are there a trip up to surprise view is always good as the trip to watendlath