1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kodak kills slide film

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Benchista, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

According to BJP, Kodak are discontinuing their last three slide films: Kodak Professional Ektachrome E100G, Kodak Professional Ektachrome E100VS Film and Kodak Professional Elite Chrome Extra Color 100. Not sure there's anything left to say about this shower. :(

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Oh dear, they are chucking the towel in. Very bad. :(

Who is left? Fuji?

3. Fen

Fen <span style="font-weight: bold; color: #AF7817;">L

How long will it be before they stop the 120 film as well? :(

4. P_Stoddart

Oh, they could not do that surely? 6x7 drum scanned can still hold it own against digital. Only the latest MF digital backs can just about top it. IMHO.

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I suspect Kodak don't actually care about that.

There was a kind of inevitability to this one, in that the main users of slide film have moved to digital imaging in the main, advanced amateurs and pros, in the latter case not necessarily from their own choice, but due to their customers.

Surely it is only a matter of a short time before they withdraw all film materials, assuming that Kodak actually survive at all. From the point of view of regular film users a lack of competition in the market cannot be a good thing. My own view for some time has been that the film market is destined to become niche rather than everyday, as such big players are often not interested in involvement. There is nothing really to say about Kodak that hasn't already been said, essentially they are just trying to survive now.

6. P_Stoddart

7. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

The trouble is that slide film is not obsolete. If you want to project for lectures, for example, the best you can do with digital is 1920 x 1080 which is effectively 1620 x 1080 if using all of APSc or full frame down to 1440 x 1080 if you are using 4/3s. Slide film is loads better. I always get the feeling with a digital projector that people are tittering on the lines of it being the best I can do despite all that kit.

8. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Kodak, like all corporations, is made up of several parts: its management, its workers, its customers and the people who provide it with working capital. The only bit that doesn't care is the shareholder element, but it's they who pull the strings.

I'm not even sure about that. The shareholders are just trying to maximise the amount of money they can recover from the tracks before the next train comes along and wipes out everyone else.

Fortunately Fuji continues to produce Velvia and Provia in 135 cassette, 135 bulk roll, 120 roll film and 4x5 & 8x10 cut film formats.

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I would not disagree with you on the above, but the collapse of film sales, despite what some claim is showing no reversal overall. A projected slide is far better than the output from a digital projector, but much output is never projected, if it were I would expect the slide film market to be healthier.

I would contend that all film is actually a nuisance to Kodak, hence their steady reduction in variety of product, which is heading towards an almost certain withdrawal from the market, if indeed they survive at all.

10. 0lybacker

0lybacker Well-Known Member

Bearing in mind that Kodak have had some problems organising their business for twenty years ... :eek:

... and that they have decided to sell some of their digital business and will return to their roots to rebuild ... :)
    ... it makes a lot of sense to wipe out a segment of that traditional business. :confused:

They may be clearing the decks in order to announce the return of Kodachrome. :rolleyes::D

11. P_Stoddart

Mmm, maybe Elvis is going to do the advert as well. :rolleyes:

12. Oly_Man

Oly_Man Well-Known Member

A sad day but I haven't used Kodak slide film for quite some time, having long since switched to Fuji because they didn't take anywhere near as long to return my process-paid slides from their lab in Yorkshire.
    While this is very true, unfortunately it's not how the market works. Most people want speed & convenience, not quality.

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Fuji's certainly isn't, but I haven't even considered Kodak slide film for years, and I can't recall the last time anyone I know used it either (including a heck of a lot of Flickr film shooters in my contacts). There are a lot of Portra, T-Max and Tri-X shooters though. I suspect they'll be around a lot longer.

14. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It cannot be regarded as a good thing having a monopoly supplier in a market, for obvious reasons. But reading this thread tells me why Kodak have made this move, nobody is buying the product. The later Ektachromes were I thought rather good, more neutral than Fuji and no magenta tendency.

15. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

No disagreement there.

But the only Ektachrome that ever was special - the infra-red version - is long discontinued.

Velvia has a distinct warm tint and rather more contrast than I think is desireable (only a bit more dynamic range than digital) but Provia is fairly neutral and has natural contrast. Every I tried any of the "normal" Ektachromes, the contrast was disappointing, and the later ones seemed to be steering towards the warm, oversaturated "Velvia tendency".

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The reality, of course, is that Velvia isn't oversaturated, all other films are undersaturated.

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I don't mind Velvia's saturation - it's the excessive contrast which I struggle with. Much prefer Velvia 100F in that respect.

18. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Interesting. Here's a couple of pieces of received wisdom in photography;

Precise exposure of slide film is essential, as unlike print film in colour or black and white, there's no leeway or latitude

But, also

Slide film looks better, in particular more saturated, if slightly underexposed: around a third of a stop, or one click of the film speed dial.

These seem to contradict each other, I know, but let's stick with the second. Because many people more technical, scientific and generally clever than me have suggested that Velvia’s real speed is actually 40 ASA/ISO, rather than 50. But unless you override the DX coding, or input some exposure compensation, you'll be exposing it at 50 ASA/ISO, i.e. a third of a stop under. So it's perhaps not the film itself but the manner in which it's traditionally exposed which gives it the high saturation.

What would be interesting is if you took Fuji at face value but tried to optimise saturation by exposing at a third of a stop under its given speed, which would actually be two thirds of a stop under.

19. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I don't know about Fuji, but Kodak reversal film used to vary in speed from batch to batch. In the eighties I used, on occasions Ektachrome 200 Pro in 120 rollfilm. It was actually quite a nasty film with a tendency to blue, but it came batch tested for speed, the actual speed of the film being indicated on the instruction leaflet. I have to say that I found this annoying as the sole reason I was using the **** was for the speed. I take it their 'consumer' films would have a similar variation, they presumably considered the third of a stop was not critical for 'amateurs'.

20. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

The highlights burn out, just as bad an issue with a (over)contrasty colour transparency film as it is with digital.

And you'd still need a 82B or 82C filter to correct the overwarm colour balance of Velvia - which otherwise has a nasty tendency to show "sunset colours" in midday light.