1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kodak hikes prices after axing slide films

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Mar 9, 2012.

1. CSBC

CSBC News Editor Forum Admin

2. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

They're really trying to commit suicide. I don't know whether to cheer or boo this - obviously it's bad news (but not for Ilford!), but maybe not driving customers away would just be prolonging the agony.

3. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

More likely not putting prices up would shorten the agony. They have to make a profit out of film to continue making it - I've long argued that with the level of sales manufacturers were getting, prices would have to go up to make it worth anyone's while selling film. In all honesty, 15% isn't that bad, but I doubt it will be the last price hike - unless they pull out of film altogether.

5. P_Stoddart

Do you think Fuji etc will follow with a price hike themselves?

I suspect so myself.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well Ilford did some time back. I think Fuji are doing OKish at the moment, and might choose not to put prices up so as to try to grab more market share.

7. attack_donut

attack_donut Well-Known Member

I shoot BW400CN film for all my B/W work, I like the fact I can get it processedin 1 hour (or less) at the local drug store (USA here) but I'm starting to have trouble finding the film, and the price has already gone from ~9$ (US) to 13$ (US) in a bout 1 year's time.

I'm not a fan of Illford's c41 B/W stuff, do I have any other options?

8. P_Stoddart

Fuji Neopan 400CN CN-16/C-41 ? Maybe?

http://www.magazine-test.lomography.com/magazine/reviews/2011/02/28/fuji-neopan-400cn

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

10. P_Stoddart

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  11. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

Surly one of the only growth markets for film is the of the Lomography movement, and they've effectively left that and me with no more film to cross process. :(

12. P_Stoddart

13. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Keep the film, scrap the Olympics 8-P

14. khmerxbxboi

khmerxbxboi Member

: Kodak trying to be back on their feet !!! hopefully it work out