1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kodak Ektra is a photography-focused Android smartphone

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by Andy Westlake, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Andy Westlake

Andy Westlake AP Staff

Andrew Wood and daft_biker like this.
  2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

want one.
    Yum

3. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

certainly looks the business.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The only problem is that it's Android and the most used application on my iPhone is IOS only with no suitable equivalent on Android. I'll just have to stick with my pocket Sony.

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

And only slightly more expensive than a second-hand Leica M2!

Seriously, if I used mobile 'phones more, I'd be very tempted. I'd even buy the ER case.

Cheers,

R.

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

If they had embraced the smart phone camera communication era sooner, they might have dominated the market by now.
    This fills the equivalent space of an early 20th century Kodak (box) camera, in the way a compact was never likely to.
    both the Kodak Brownie and the smart phones have been ubiquitous for their time. but they were never aimed at "photographers"
    They satisfy the mass market, the majority of whom spend far more, time and money, on their phones and communicating than on their cameras.

7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I rather fancy one as well but I may be too mean to pay that much for one

8. Roger Hicks

Dear Roger,

Mean be damned. I'm just too broke. And even if I had LOTS more money, there are quite a few things I'd spend that sort of money on before a mobile 'phone.

Cheers,

R.

RogerMac likes this.
  9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The nice leather never ready case seems to be designed so that it can be worn ostentatiously. It's a nice toy for people who like that sort of thing. It would sell better at ten times the price with a Gucci label.

Andrew Wood likes this.
  10. Roger Hicks

Or maybe it's just designed to provide good protection and to look good. To be sure, there are some people who buy things only for conspicuous consumption, but we're not all that stupid. There are also plenty who buy them simply because they like nice things, To deny the existence of the latter group is reverse snobbery, and the Gucci jibe is just plain meaningless.

Cheers,

R.

Andrew Wood likes this.
  11. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Agreed on the price, I can't afford one,but maybe it will drop in price by the time I get a new phone. Mind you, as I dropped my Nokia, I may need to replace it soon anyway.

12. Prem Mohan

Prem Mohan New Member

HTC mobile is the best lens provide for the perfect photography.

13. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

My old Nokia N8 had a physical shutter button, something I miss greatly on my current Galaxy Note 3.

14. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood Member

You are right, but there are other brands available in market which provide better lens quality for photography.

15. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

The review in this month's RPS Journal makes it sound quite enticing.

I have searched but cannot find any of the telecoms companies offering it as part of a package of the sort that make things like the iPhone7 available with practically no up-front payment. My iPhone 3GS is starting to creak at the seams but I don't want to spend much money to replace it.

16. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I saw rumours about it last autumn so it's hardly a bolt from the blue but I really do not like the photo experience of all the other smart phones I have used so I will consider it when I my current phone contract comes up in the spring