1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kinda accidentally updated my MacAir OS to Sierra 10:12:5 on Saturday ...

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Done_rundleCams, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

... and the really good news is that now everything on Facebook that was giving me grief, is back to normal ;) and my ICloud email is no longer telling me to upgrade my OS :D.

However, saving photos is a bit different :eek: ......but, doable :)

Cheers,

Jack

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  2. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

I normally wait for a few weeks to let others beta test incremental releases.

High Sierra is coming in the Autumn!

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Jack, how do you "accidentally" upgrade your OS?
    I agree about not being in the first wave to upgrade but Sierra has been out for a while now, anyway glad you have it working.

I wonder how many of my computers will be new enough to upgrade to High Sierra?

4. Done_rundleCams

I'll probably wait until I get a new Mac, Steve, as I've had mine for, Yowza .. 4 years :eek: -- and take whatever
    it has ;) ... I imagine by the time that is, they'll be at the Ansel Adams OS :D

Cheers,

Jack

5. Done_rundleCams

Hi Geoff,

Accidentally, in the sense that it was a quiet Saturday at work and everyone was
    having computer issues ( old iMac's) and talking about OS upgrades and computer
    upgrades and I'd been getting messages from Facebook and, even, my iCloud (email)
    to upgrade my Safari or change to Chrome, Mozilla, etc ... and I decided to check
    my software updates and the only one was "Sierra" and, last fall I checked with Apple
    to see if my Aperture et al would be compatible with the Sierra and, yep, .... asked
    someone different a few months later and, last Saturday, I was, well, I wonder, what
    happens if I quick this button -- download upgrade -- so I did, figuring it would only
    download it .... but it did and installed it as well :eek:

:)

jack

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Ah yes, we should probably have mentioned earlier that you can't just download an Apple update, once you click it will download and install.

7. Done_rundleCams

All in all, Geoff, I'm happy with it :). The only thing I don't think I'll like is that, if I get a new computer, with Sierra, I'm not if I'll be
    able to migrate Aperture and my Aperture Library to it :eek: (?). A question for the Genius Bar, I guess ;)

Cheers,

Jack

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

This might work!
    Using Time Machine, make a back-up of your current computer.
    Buy the new one
    Restore the new one from the back-up, programs and data.

That is how I am running Nikon Capture NX2 on Sierra and El Capitane, can't install to either but the software works when the OS is updated.

9. Done_rundleCams

Thanks Geoff ... much appreciated :)

Cheers,

Jack