1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kim Darroch resigns

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mike40, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...k-ambassador-to-us-after-leaked-trump-comment

With the now shoe-in of the supreme egoist to Downing Street and the spineless a**e licking that will now come to pass, what choice did he have?

It’s what diplomats do ffs - seen both Richard Tice and some frightful American ignoramus on C4 news the last couple of nights - both demonstrating neither has a clue but foretelling how democracy is being abused by the far-right.

Mass clear out of the hitherto impartial civil service? Farage is, of course, being put forward as the ideal candidate for ambassador with his ‘expertise’ in “intelligence, security and business” - beyond belief!!

Only consolation is that Bo-Jo will probably be the shortest serving PM on record.

Take care,
    Mike

2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

The only people who need to resign are whoever at the F&CO leaked the confidential e-mails and whoever instructed them to do so.

3. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

No - they should be fired and prosecuted.

Ambassador watches spineless Bo-Jo fail to support him during the debate last night and was left with no alternative. Shameful and humiliating - no head of state, however insecure, should be able to effect a change of ambassador of a sovereign country for reasons of bruised feelings.

Take care,
    Mike

Learning and steveandthedogs like this.
  4. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

He's too much of a professional, but if it was be me, no longer working in the service, I'd be talking to a lawyer about defamation and slander.

Graeme

5. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

There were pictures of a meeting between Farage and Johnson a few months ago; Johnson quickly exited when he was aware photos were being taken. Isabel Oakeshott, who took the story to the papers, is closely associated with Farage, Banks, Wigmore and Ashcroft. This could well have been engineered by the Johnson camp, to free up the Ambassador post for Farage.

You've got to wonder what promise Johnson has made to get various groups to support him.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It all begins to look very unpleasant. I suspect Oakeshott will soon be discussing the matter with the Special Branch.

saxacat likes this.
  7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

But Darroch will have had it made Very worthwhile for him. He can't work again, but won't need to.

8. saxacat

If I was in May's position, I would make sure I got a new ambassador in to Washington pronto, preferably someone of the same calibre and like minded to Darroch.

9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

And a chance to sample Her Majesty’s hospitality I hope.

S

saxacat likes this.
  10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I have a friend who worked as a diplomat for the UK (Consul General in Basra, Ambassador to Estonia and Governor of the Falkland Islands amongst other roles) and he posted this on Facebook.

66246435_2694604120567269_1246667944755200000_n.jpg

11. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I wonder why one of the news reports thought it necessary to mention that Sir Kim Darroch came from a council house upbringing? Can't remember which paper it was now, but I guess that says more about the newspaper's owner than about the diplomat being discussed.

12. Andrew Flannigan

On the other hand it suggests that the reason a competent government employee is being thrown overboard is that he's "not one of us". If he was "one of us" he might have been promoted sideways. Not that I'm suggesting that the Entitlement Mafia even exists... ;)

13. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I take it that he has resigned his post not the service. He will remain a senior civil servant.

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I think it's because certain people - Farage, Johnson and the like - had been saying he was an example of elitism. He went to grammar school, they all went to public school. The utter deceit is absurd.

15. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

17. saxacat

Maybe he'd like those opposed to Brexit to identify themselves, possibly having to wear a yellow badge with EU on it.

You know, I keep hoping someone or something is going to come along to put a stop to this madness, but it seems that is less and less likely. Most of the current batch of MPs seem more concerned with themselves than the Country, I suspect most are already looking for ways to ingratiate themselves with the Johnson administration. :(:(:(

18. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes. There are 38% of voters totally behind every right wing / fascist utterance and more than enough undecideds to form a majority if it came to a push. Hitler was democratically elected.

19. Andrew Flannigan

Correct.

It's sad that none of the democracies had learnt enough by 1945 to make membership of any fascistic organisation an offence. Punishment? Put the idiot on the next transport out of the country.

20. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member