1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kiev 4M

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by steveandthedogs, Feb 28, 2019.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I've just bought a 4M 1982 with the Helios 103 for £25, it is in beautiful cosmetic condition, the shutter is a bit lazy at slow speeds.

Question: anyone think it may be worth getting it serviced [Ed Trzoska?] or just use as is and risk it collapsing into a heap of little metal bits?

As an aside, I'm getting worried, starting to like Soviet rangefinders. Is there a cure?

S

peterba likes this.
  2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Buying a Leica rangefinder instead might be a cure, but at a price.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  3. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Use it - and get it fixed when it fails.

Roger Hicks and steveandthedogs like this.
  4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I suspect work on the shutter could cost many times what you paid for it...
    Equally, shutters that are a bit "sticky" can improve with use, so try it.

I rather like quite a few of the Soviet rangefinders. I think my FED 2 has the purest rangefinder experience of all cameras I've used - no meter, no slow speeds, but a decent rangefinder, a nice enough lens, and a workable viewfinder. I'm also very fond ot the Zorki 4k.

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Rights, general opinion seems to be use until...

Thank you, gentlemen, will do.

Nick - know what you mean about the Fed 2. Got one with a dead shutter tape, will get around to stripping it one day. Or buy another when I wreck it even more.

S

6. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Don't ask me, Steve. I bought a Zorki 4k about ten years ago - for the J-8 that was attached. My firm intention was to sell/give away the Zorki, and keep the lens. Needless to say, I still have both. :oops:

7. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I have a lot of Russian cameras ( well Ukrainian actually ) and almost all of mine work just fine .
    Well , you can't expect 100% !
    I've been on holiday this week and took along my medium format Kiev 88 ( the Hasselbladski ), so hopefully all should be well after I replaced the light seals in the film backs .
    Word of warning ; ALWAYS wind the shutter on to the next frame before adjusting the shutter speed . OR the camera might DIE !!!!!!!!!!! maybe even explode ...........

8. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I briefly owned a FED rangefinder - I paid very little for it, as the shutter wind didn't work. Setting the rewind to "advance" fixed that. I adjusted the rangefinder, shot a short test film, and sold it.

My first real camera was a Zenit 3m. I have a working one of those, as well as various Zenit Bs and Es, some of which work.