1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keyless entry cars....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dangie, Oct 21, 2019.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Firstly, I don't wish this to turn into a debate on the merits or otherwise of Keyless entry cars. Please save that for another thread.

I've recently bought a new car. It has keyless entry. Nowadays there's nothing unusual there. As most people who also have a keyless entry car have probably done, I've been reading up on the security side of things, the supposed ease it is for thieves to gain entry to your car and therefore drive it away by 'scanning' for the key signal.

To this end I bought a Farady Pouch off Amazon to keep the key in when it's not in use. I tried it when I first got it and it appeared to work. With the key in the pouch the car door wouldn't open. However I've tried it again this morning and not only would the door open, I could also start the car with the key still in the pouch..!! Not good.

I admit the pouch wasn't expensive only £6.50 for a pack of 2. But most on Amazon are pretty cheap. The reviews were good but how reliable are they?

So I'm asking does anyone else have keyless cars, and if you do have you got a Farady pouch that works?

In the meantime when the keys are in the house I've got them in a tin box. High Tec or what.....
    My car is kept on the drive overnight as unfortunately I don't have a garage.

Note: A friend of mine is in the police force. He tells me the best security for keyless cars is the good old fashioned steering wheel Krooklock. Thieves who are trying the get your key code are highly unlikely to have crowbars etc to remove a Krooklock. If they see one they'll move on.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

One reason your Faraday pouch may not appear to be working is if the second set of keys is within range but if they are in a tin that should rule that one out. Otherwise you do need the pouch to be continuous, gaps won't help.

3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Thanks Geoff. The 2nd set of keys is stored in another pouch covered in kitchen foil in another tin in an upstairs room. Overkill or what.....

4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Not sure any of the faraday pouches etc are much use.
    A few years back there were some tests done (I think gadget show may have tried them) which showed that faraday wallets for contactless cards were garbage - the only thing that worked was to wrap contactless cards in foil.
    This goes along with the fact that faraday cages need to be complete - large gaps (relative) make the cage useless, and may actually make things worse if the conductor is touching the cage.

Your tin box is as good as anything, but if I were to look for any sort of pouch, I would start with military equipment sites to see what sort of stuff they use.
    …..I don't mean you need to get an ECM pod from a Typhoon......just look to see if they have any pouches:D

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Can you still gain entry etc. if all of your car keys are properly surrounded by metal foil? Aluminium is the obvious material, but from memory it gains its resistance to tarnishing from a thin coating of oxide, and perhaps the surface resistance of that is stopping the full Faraday Cage effect. Just a thought...

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

My faraday pouch works, I’ve just tested it. I’m pretty rubbish though. I keep the spare key in the pouch but the main one not. What’s the point, lol.

7. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

My car is an older model. I recently bought a pouch from Amazon, in which to keep the crank handle... :D

8. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

To be honest I haven't tried. Will do it later when wife comes home.

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Both our cars have keyless entry but require an ignition key to start. Means you can get in quickly when it's raining but you have the security of needing a key to release the wheel and start the engine.

Compromise is always a good thing! ;)

10. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

My car has keyless entry and start, but I keep both keys in a metal box (Next to my spare tinfoil hat).
    TBH, I think most tealeafs around here are after farm machinary, more valuable and easier to fence.

11. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Looks like you need to get one of those lead lined pouches that you put film in going through the airport's x-ray machines !

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

If it's a keyless car why do you need a key:rolleyes:....;)

peterba likes this.
  13. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I suppose the advantage of keyless entry cars, and the electronic trickery the thieves employ, is that the thieves don't smash their way into the house to get the keys. I get the impression that the most of cars that get nicked in this way are targeted - someone is looking for specific model/colour to feed an organised distribution. If someone nefariously wants that car then it is at risk whether it has remote entry or not.

You sure you didn't have both keys with you? My (not keyless) car is forever warning me that the key has been removed from the car. Invariably it is because my wife has got out before me while carrying her key. This happens with my key still in the ignition and just after I've turned the ignition off (it is push button ignition).

14. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Yes quite sure. The 2nd key is shut away with more metal around it than Fort Knox.

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

If you meant the old fashioned Krooklock that attached to the steering wheel and the clutch pedal, thieves could remove those in seconds. The Disklock that encases the steering wheel is bulkier bur more effective.

16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

An auto electrician should be able to fit a hidden kill switch if you want some extra security without carrying a big lock about.

My car doesn't have the cooled seat option but I expect it would be easy enough to get the switches that go in the hole and wire it as a hidden kill switch that is conveniently located. Seen YouTube videos where they screw a toggle switch under the dash to show how it is done.

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I ordered a new car three weeks ago and did not get the top model for three reasons, none of which was cost.
    1. The top model had keyless access and stealability
    2. The top model had oversize wheels and tyres that looked like rubber bands.
    3. The top model had Stop start.

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Extremely simple as it happens but it is equally simple to bypass the switch unless it is well hidden.

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have keyless access but the rest I can agree with.

20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

jJust buy a cheap roll of foil and wrap the transmitter up. A decent length roll should last a year or two. The inconvenience of wrapping keys does somewhat remove the convenience of keyless entry.

ascu75 likes this.