1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kew

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mark101, May 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I see Kew Gardens are opening their greenhouse after a 5 year refit. Anyone fancy a visit in summer? I recall our previous visits were quite enjoyable.

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Would if I could. Son is always on at me to go. Don't know why he didn't join you for the last one. Practically lives there.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I am interested but I do rattle round rather a lot so might only be able to commit at the last moment.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Who needs to go to Kew when they can listen to Mary Hopkin's version...

5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

As I live in Ruislip now it's slightly less easy for me to get to Kew. I've been meaning to go again soon, so this could be the kick up the arse I need.

Another meet-up? Good idea, who's up for it? Lesley? Adrian? Mark? Anyone else?

I should say I'm hoping to retire and move to a dark site in Dorset soon-ish, maybe October so let's get a move on.

6. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I'm in

7. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

We visited Kew Gardens last September and with mainly decent weather it was an enjoyable outing, except for the exceedingly bumpy ride on the land train or whatever it's called. The land train is towed around and appears to have no effective springing so when its wheels encounter shallow drainage gullies crossing the route, there's a serious jolt to passengers, and one's photo gear if stashed on the floor of the vehicle. There's lots of these gullies... Despite several of the "attractions" being closed (Pagoda as well as the temperate glass house), I didn't see any reduction in the entrance fee.
    On the UP-side, in Kew's shop, I discovered a delightful single estate coffee from Ethiopia, available both ground and as beans.
    We were staying nearby and got there by bus, and noted that local car parking seems difficult.

Worth bearing in mind that in some glass houses, the glazing is tinted, and that for decent colour it is worth checking with a Custom White Balance - or, you could shoot in raw.

Mark101 likes this.
  8. Mark101

Yep me too if we can sort an agreeable date.

9. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

On another forum that I use there is a discussion on model related photography. The issue being restrictions on photography or possible restrictions. Might be worth your time if going with the camera to check the website. Students are required to buy a permit £50+vat.and so on.

10. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan coming together

Adrian?

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That is to use the gardens as a location for a commercial shoot. You are not allowed to take pictures of the gardens or buildings as such, only the models in the outdoor studio as it were.

12. Mark101

Are ants and grasshoppers models?

13. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

If they're topless then yes.

14. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I'm not here! Well, not all here...

Any thoughts on a date? We aren't going anywhere on holiday this year - though part of the time booked off 2nd half of June may be spent watching a new kitchen going in. July 12 is SWMBO's birthday if in the week is an option...

ETA - Sunday is sacred to King Willow, especially as I'm fundraising this year - more details anon. .

Adrian

15. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Would you like this thread stickied?

16. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I would like to, but I doubt if I'll make it.

S

17. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Yes, thanks. Unless you'd rather I started a new thread in Forethcoming Events?

18. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Stickied. :)

DaveS likes this.
  19. Mark101

:)

20. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I'm also in on this one.