1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kew Summer Meet

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by DaveS, May 28, 2015.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I seem to recall last time it was £16 to get in? If so I can save by buying a ticket online only two quid but that makes the hop on and off bus only 2.50

2. LesleySM

Ticket plus access to ride on/off service purchased. It may be that I limp round- maybe use the bus to catch up with people if worse comes to worst and I get separated then "Tap on the line" about 4.30? I don't want to slow people down

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

It's a garden, Lesley, we can always find a wheelbarrow! Especially if the cocktails are tempting...

Adrian

4. LesleySM

I am just imagining it. See, I don't like gin so I'll end up wheeling the whole lot of you back to the Victoria Gate!

As I say I have my ticket and for the bus- it'll be very useful if it rains or gets too hot- if I was being ultra lazy (Who? Me?) looking at the stops I could get on at Victoria Gate and work my way round in leisurely style

5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Sounds a good idea. I'm just off to Kew now-ish to recce. No cam but my phone and a notebook. Will report back when I'm home again.

Gods but I hate posting from my phone.

6. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

The land-train leaved from the Victoria Gate every half hour, on the half hour and takes about 45 min to do a circuit.

The Princess of Wales Conservatory has some good displays of orchids on the lower level and a lot of bromeliads on the upper level of the tropical bit. There's also a display of chili peppers. The waterlily house is also in full flower but very hot and humid.

There are also booths for various spicy breads and the East India Company have some exotic (And Pricey!) teas and chocolates. The gin cocktail bar is only there at the W/E so I didn't see it or sample it's wares.

How do people feel about all of us taking the land-train and hoping on and off?

7. LesleySM

I was looking at the route and thinking it goes pretty much all the places I want to see, would be great especially if it rains or gets hot (former being more likely than the latter)

8. gray1720

A magnificent typo, Dave!

Sounds a laugh to me.

Adrian

9. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Dur....

Just had a look at BBC weather for Sat at Kew, looks good, broken light cloud and sun, about 20 deg.

10. LesleySM

Sounds perfect but given we're in the middle of summer and we were supposed to be in a heatwave a few weeks back at which point I had to run the heating....

I'll look out the window Saturday morning before deciding whether to wear my winter coat, a jacket or nothing at all

But if the weather forecast is right then that looks good

11. ailsar

ailsar Member

Can we just confirm what time we're meeting up at? Lesley suggested 11am further up the thread, which works OK for us. (I've just been checking timing for getting me and Adrian in from Oxford).

Thanks

Ailsa

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  12. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Yes, 11 o/c at the Victoria Gate.

See you both there.

13. gray1720

Grand - looking forward to it!

Adrian

14. LesleySM

ARGH! Looks like you'll all be enjoying spice infused gin cocktails and I'll be sitting in the vets. Spirit has overgroomed herself and is hiding so I think she needs to be seen especially as this has come on suddenly she's literally bald on most of her belly

15. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

The Kew jinx strikes again :mad:

Hope Spirit is OK, will be thinking of you both.

16. LesleySM

Thanks not been the best 24 hours my five months old PC packed up last night, so I need to replace it and send it back for a refund. Thankfully I paid with my credit card but until Sunday I'm without aPC I'm typing this on my phone.

Popped to the local today whilst attempting a last repair on the PC, had just sat down when Sara came in with the news that her partner David who I was friends with had passed away Wednesday. ...so I've been invited to the funeral....which as we are short staffed as someone is on leave I won't get permission for unless I have a major argument with my boss

And now spirit, she's eating like a horse and a shire horse at that and using her box just fine but I noticed she's going bald in her undercarriage as it were so please raise a spice infused gin cocktail to me tomorrow as I sit in the vets waiting room

17. LesleySM

Thanks not been the best 24 hours my five months old PC packed up last night, so I need to replace it and send it back for a refund. Thankfully I paid with my credit card but until Sunday I'm without aPC I'm typing this on my phone.

Popped to the local today whilst attempting a last repair on the PC, had just sat down when Sara came in with the news that her partner David who I was friends with had passed away Wednesday. ...so I've been invited to the funeral....which as we are short staffed as someone is on leave I won't get permission for unless I have a major argument with my boss

And now spirit, she's eating like a horse and a shire horse at that and using her box just fine but I noticed she's going bald in her undercarriage as it were so please raise a spice infused gin cocktail to me tomorrow as I sit in the vets waiting room

18. LesleySM

Sorry about that as I say I'm using my phone right now and not making a good job of it. And now I've got the problem that Sara wants to use one of my photos for the funeral